Fish ID project

Topics concerning muskellunge and fisheries research, diseases, stocking and management.
Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:00 pm

hemichemi wrote:Might stop some. If more got caught and got fined, others will think twice. Pushing a fish down the hole doesn't make it invisible. Cheap underwater cams could be used to look for undersized fish that were discarded.

I'm not claiming it's the answer to everything, but without effective enforcement, education will only change those who are willing to change. How many darkhouse fishermen are? If some are already scoffing at the regs, making tighter regs won't do any good unless they're effectively enforced. Certainly cutting funding to enforcement isn't the optimal situation.
Agreed. I particularly like the idea of the CO's utilizing underwater cameras. I don't know if that tech is currently being used. I'll do some digging, if it's not being used I see it as an opportunity for MMA to make a difference on the law enforcement side of things.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:04 pm

Will Schultz wrote:
ricky sox wrangler wrote:Instead of getting mad at the spearing crowd, maybe it's time to wonder WHY hasn't the DNR made any changes yet? It didn't just turn low density overnight. They know it's low density. WHY hasn't anything been done yet. It's such a simple minded question...WHY? It's in the hands of our DNR. Maybe we are missing something here. Somebody is.....
That's a completely separate issue. This topic is concerning the mis-identification of muskies and how education could go a long way toward eliminating, or greatly reducing, the concern.
Yep, my bad. It's just been on the brain as of late.
Rick

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:31 pm

ricky sox wrangler wrote:
Will Schultz wrote:
ricky sox wrangler wrote:Instead of getting mad at the spearing crowd, maybe it's time to wonder WHY hasn't the DNR made any changes yet? It didn't just turn low density overnight. They know it's low density. WHY hasn't anything been done yet. It's such a simple minded question...WHY? It's in the hands of our DNR. Maybe we are missing something here. Somebody is.....
That's a completely separate issue. This topic is concerning the mis-identification of muskies and how education could go a long way toward eliminating, or greatly reducing, the concern.
Yep, my bad. It's just been on the brain as of late.
To actually answer your question, no one cared. Imagine this scenario...
Angler 1 - I heard Black Lake has muskies.
Angler 2 - Yes but it's not worth fishing there. Go to St Clair.
Angler 1 - OK

No one has cared that we have so many waters that could generate hundreds of millions in tourism. No one has cared to actually do anything about allowing these fisheries to rebound.

Well... guess what, finally someone does care and it's irritating certain people.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Fishead

Post by Fishead » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:35 pm

Will and Brett,
You are absolutely correct! This was not the correct place to voice my personal frustrations. I apologize to all MMA members and sportsman for casting a negative light on MMA.

tundrawalker00, you are doing a good thing here. I hope it can be effective and start useful, productive conversations. Thanks!

vano397

Post by vano397 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:40 am

Will Schultz wrote:
hemichemi wrote:Might stop some. If more got caught and got fined, others will think twice. Pushing a fish down the hole doesn't make it invisible. Cheap underwater cams could be used to look for undersized fish that were discarded.

I'm not claiming it's the answer to everything, but without effective enforcement, education will only change those who are willing to change. How many darkhouse fishermen are? If some are already scoffing at the regs, making tighter regs won't do any good unless they're effectively enforced. Certainly cutting funding to enforcement isn't the optimal situation.
Agreed. I particularly like the idea of the CO's utilizing underwater cameras. I don't know if that tech is currently being used. I'll do some digging, if it's not being used I see it as an opportunity for MMA to make a difference on the law enforcement side of things.
http://shop.vexilar.com/en/fishphone-1/ ... lete-fp100

pretty simple system, and uses stuff they already carry. cheap-ish too.
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”