Strains cross breeding?

Topics concerning muskellunge and fisheries research, diseases, stocking and management.
Chris Musselman

Strains cross breeding?

Post by Chris Musselman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:49 pm

We were having this discussion in the boat on Margrethe and I remember seeing that GLS are going to be stocked in thornapple for broodstock and it brought up the question...

Can the GLS fish crossbreed with the fish already in the lake? What happens when the two strains breed?
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...

Cyberlunge
Site Admin

Post by Cyberlunge » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:28 pm

Yes they can and do. Michigan is one of the few maybe only states that recognizes them as two separate fish. They are both simply different variations of the same genus and species.
If I wasn't born to fish then why am I here?

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Keep in mind, though, that although they go through all the motions of spawning in Thornapple every Spring, they don't have any success breeding naturally in that lake, for various reasons.
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:59 pm

I remember reading that there is a chance that the GLS fish have a slightly better chance of naturally reproducing, is that correct? Is there a freak chance that those fish may successfully spawn with the northern strain in the lake?

Also when the two strains breed what is the result?
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:08 pm

someone can correct me if im wrong, but on most of our inland lakes here in SW michigan the substrate isn't proper for muskies eggs so they sink into the substrate typically and are lost?

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:03 pm

swanezy wrote:someone can correct me if im wrong, but on most of our inland lakes here in SW michigan the substrate isn't proper for muskies eggs so they sink into the substrate typically and are lost?
So wouldn't the goal be to search for the lakes with the best substrate for spawning in regards to stocking our southern Michigan lakes?

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:11 pm

i know ive heard that is one of the reason's why they can't spawn in murray..

but lots of other stuff has to go into consideration before picking one they can spawn in, like adequate food or type of forage etc..

someone could elaborate with more detail im sure

Larry Porter

Post by Larry Porter » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:24 pm

Austin has the water quality, firm bottom, and Chara weed growth that the Leech Lake muskies use in spawning, although I believe it may be a foot or two deeper at Leech than the 4' to 5' of the Austin Chara weed line.