Manistee gets $329k grant to improve fishing access

Topics concerning muskellunge and fisheries research, diseases, stocking and management.
Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:49 pm

http://www.ludingtondailynews.com/news/ ... ing-access 12/16/09 LDN Staff

MANISTEE COUNTY — Manistee County is using its rivers, streams, inland lakes and Lake Michigan to become “a global destination.” Explore the Shores is a series of places throughout the county that provide hands-on opportunities for people of all ages and abilities to learn about water stewardship and explore nature.

The vision of Explore the Shores is to make Manistee County the world’s premier destination for water-related activities. The plan is to develop 50 places by 2020 that will provide universal access and attract 1 million new visitors to rivers, streams and lakes.

Three grants from Great Lakes Fishery Trust were recently received totaling over $329,000 for three new sites to support universal access for people to fish for salmon and trout on the Manistee River and the outlet of Bar Lake on Lake Michigan.

The three new Explore the Shores sites are:

Big Manistee River (near confluence with Bear Creek)

Rainbow Bend, located off River Road on U.S. Forest Service property

Bar Lake, located on Lake Shore Road where the outlet enters Lake Michigan

All three facilities are expected to be completed in 2010 and will comply with Americans with Disabilities Act guidelines.

Other sites to be developed later are:

Stronach Fishing Pier, Arthur Street Boat Launch, Manistee Municipal Marina, First and Fifth Street Beaches.

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:01 pm

Rainbow Bend already has a special little place in my heart. One of the few places I've ever had any luck river fishing for Kings.

Cyberlunge
Site Admin

Post by Cyberlunge » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:57 pm

Big Manistee River (near confluence with Bear Creek)

Rainbow Bend, located off River Road on U.S. Forest Service property

Bar Lake, located on Lake Shore Road where the outlet enters Lake Michigan

Excellent more idiots at three fo my favorite places on earth FYI Bar Lake = Mondo bluegills
If I wasn't born to fish then why am I here?