Michigan Muskie Alliance donates transmitters...

Topics concerning muskellunge and fisheries research, diseases, stocking and management.
mmainfo

Michigan Muskie Alliance donates transmitters...

Post by mmainfo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:29 am

Michigan Muskie Alliance purchased ten ultrasonic transmitters for the Michigan Department of Natural Resources to use in muskellunge research on the Elk Chain of lakes near Traverse City, MI. The MI-DNR will implant muskellunge with these transmitters for the purpose of learning more about their seasonal movements. This study will provide much needed information, at this time there is a minimal amount of good data available to fishery managers about this landlocked population of Great Lakes Muskellunge.

red lund

Post by red lund » Thu May 15, 2008 3:17 pm

We implanted 8 muskies, and are most likely done tagging for this year since the water temperature is approaching 60F in Skegemog. Of those tagged, males ranged from 41 to 46 inches and females ranged from 46 to 53, with 3 over 50 inches. We hope to implant more next spring, but this is a good start to some research that is long overdue on this system. We handled 21 muskies all together, the longest of which was 54 inches.

pH

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:12 pm

Hello all,
My name is John Molenhouse, and I'm the M.S. student from UM that will be helping to coordinate the study on the Elk chain. A few tidbits about myself:

-I'm a first year Aquatics M.S. student in UM's School of Natural Resources and Environment

-I've been on or near the water my whole life and am an avid SCUBA diver, fisherman, and boater. I've never actually fished for muskies, but I have done my share of northern pike and bass fishing across the state (mostly in Leelanau county near Northport).

-A few of my hobbies include: fishing, hunting, restoring cars, and brewing my own beer.

I'll be at the MMA banquet in March with Patrick Hanchin to present on the project and show some preliminary results from the 8 fish tagged last year, as well as answer any question you have. I'm providing a link to the Hugh C. Becker Foundation grant proposal I submitted for this year in case any of you want a more in depth look at the project details. Please feel free to post any questions you have, and I'll do what I can to answer them. I look forward to working with you all on this project.

Becker Grant URL:
http://rapidshare.com/files/191677116/B ... .docx.html

-John

P.S. does anyone know where I can get a copy of the "know the difference poster"? I'd like one to hang in my office.[/url]

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:25 pm

Casa wrote: I've never actually fished for muskies...
We'll have to take care of that!

An 11x17 poster is available from our merchandise supplier. http://www.cafepress.com/michmuskie
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:51 pm

Maybe you can hop in my boat sometime this year, but you can't be wearing any of that blue and yellow garbage. :roll:

:mrgreen: (<=== Notice: it's Green and White!)
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:02 pm

hemichemi wrote:Maybe you can hop in my boat sometime this year, but you can't be wearing any of that blue and yellow garbage. :roll:

Hemi... that is Maize and Blue! I'll cut my finger at the next meeting so you can see the colors.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:11 pm

Will Schultz wrote:
hemichemi wrote:Maybe you can hop in my boat sometime this year, but you can't be wearing any of that blue and yellow garbage. :roll:

Hemi... that is Maize and Blue! I'll cut my finger at the next meeting so you can see the colors.
Yeah; whatever... [smilie=sign-whocares.gif]
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.