VHS question

Topics concerning muskellunge and fisheries research, diseases, stocking and management.
Bryan Saenz

VHS question

Post by Bryan Saenz » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:13 pm

Ok, I was thinking about this the other day, cause lots of people on here fish LSC..myself included, i know we're all suppose to wash off our equipment, boats, livewells, trailers, ect. Well what about certain lures that may have been used on LSC, or fishing line. Super lines can retain quite a bit of moisture. I would think that a virus could tuck itself away deep in a spool of braided line. So does everyone who fishes LSC use different rods/reels for that lake? and lures for that matter? Cause if not, isn't that the same as not washing your boat, by exposing that line that was in LSC to inland lakes? i don't say this to be a punk, i just would hate to have anything happen to our inland lake resources that have taken so long to get started or even established. This upcoming season we all need to recognize what we need to do to keep our lakes safe from any kind of die off that could be prevented.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:35 pm

Anglers and boaters can take some easy steps to prevent the spread of fish diseases and other aquatic nuisance species such as zebra mussels by taking the following steps to help prevent the spread of the virus:
- Clean boats, trailers, and other equipment thoroughly between fishing trips to keep from transporting undesirable fish pathogens and organisms, from one water body to another with special care to clean fishing equipment when you are done fishing known locations of the fish diseases. A light bleach solution is an excellent disinfectant for cleaning your equipment.
- After cleaning allow boats, trailers, and other equipment to fully dry for 4 to 6 hours in the sun.
- Do not move fish or fish parts from one body of water to another.
- Do not release live bait into any water body.
- Handle fish as gently as possible if you intend to release them and release them as quickly as possible.
- Refrain from hauling the fish for long periods in live wells if you intend to release them.
- Report unusual numbers of dead or dying fish to Michigan Department of Natural Resources Fisheries Division offices.
- Educate other anglers about the measure they can take to prevent the spread of fish diseases and other aquatic nuisance species.

My thought...
Mix a bottle of chlorine/water and keep in handy. Spray anything that could be a problem, things that will not dry completely are most important.
i don't say this to be a punk, i just would hate to have anything happen to our inland lake resources that have taken so long to get started or even established.
You're a punk anyway, this isn't going to change my mind one way or another. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bryan Saenz

Post by Bryan Saenz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:00 am

thanks....lol

You and me should fish together once this year, it'd be fun to see who'd end up in the water first...hahaha...

:D

fishingwidow

Post by fishingwidow » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:49 pm

Any other type of disinfectant that would work? I'd be a little leary about spraying even a little bleach on a braided line, wouldn't that weaken the fibers?

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:09 pm

fishingwidow wrote:Any other type of disinfectant that would work? I'd be a little leary about spraying even a little bleach on a braided line, wouldn't that weaken the fibers?
As much as I cast lure in a swimming pool I probably would have noticed a problem with chlorine and braid. The solution is a 10% solution and once sprayed on can be rinsed off. If someone was proposing soaking line in a 100% bleach solution overnight I might be a little concerned. However, spectra is hydrophobic so I'm guessing even concentrated bleach wouldn't cause a problem.

Now, if we're concenred about line and if it will carry VHS consider this...

How are we going to stop cormorants, seaguls, ducks, geese, etc. from coming into inland lakes? They will carry much more water in their feathers that 3000 yards of 80# PowerPro.

Sucks right? We could do everthing possible but there's no way to stop it for sure.

Don't worry about your line. Worry about the things that are likely to move the disease. Water in the boat somewhere and don't forget that your trailer carries water with it when it leaves the lake (unless you have an I-beam trailer).

LeMay

Post by LeMay » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:14 pm

Talking about swiming pools Will did you ever find a place to have a casting class?

LeMay

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:19 pm

LeMay wrote:Talking about swiming pools Will did you ever find a place to have a casting class?

LeMay
NO.

Hamilton Reef

Post by Hamilton Reef » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:46 pm

I have full faith the core of this MMA will do what ever it takes to prevent the spread of VHS and protect the inland fishery. What I see as so important is our education of the VHS concerns to the general public fishers of all fish from bluegills to salmon, inland and Great Lakes. As I stand in the local sport shop I see every day the casual fishermen that may only get out a few times year, and they have no clue about VHS in spite of all the press. That is scary. The MMA may need to brainstorm and think of different ways to promote VHS education as we did with the ID pike/musky signs.