March Everglades Tarpon Trip, again....

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

detroithardcore

March Everglades Tarpon Trip, again....

Post by detroithardcore » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:32 pm

Got back down for my annual March Tarpon Plugging/Fly March Trip in the Everglades. Landed in 65 degree weather with a nasty coldfront and overnight lows expected to be around 48 degrees. I had the chance to stay on Marco Island and get some work done or go fishing. We knew most of the Tarpon would leave the Glades with temps that cold, if not all. They get really picky about water temp and will run off baker somewhere deep and ride out the front until it warms up again. I opted to go fish anyway and we found a few Poons that braved the colder temp and water temp drop. Hooked 2 on that day and most had left. Luckily it was a freak 1 day front and by day 2 fish showed back up overnight. It simply amazes me that Tarpon will take off the minute water temps drop 1-3 degrees but then show back up literally overnight when temps rise again. Day 2 was pretty awesome. We found about a couple hundred Poons in a shallow bay trying to warm up. Fish in the 70-160# range. Wind was howling so fly fishing was out but I stuck 3 up to 150# on day 2. Day 3 was epic! Absolutely epic! Storm cells kept coming in every half hour or so and the fish turned on. I think I hooked 14-15 Tarpon and landed 5 up to 160#. The 160#er ate in a complete downpour! I'm talking so hard you could barely hear each other on the boat. She crushed a plug and the fight was on. I fought her through complete sheets of rain and wind. It was pretty cool seeing this beast leap out of water with the rain just pounding us. I was doing my best not to slip, kept losing my grip on the reel and completely soaked. Once you learn to fight Tarpon you can really beat them up in 10 min or less...even the giant ones. But every now and then you get one that just won't give up no matter what you do. This girl was not giving up at all and countless times I thought I had her beat and she would peel off 150 yards of line with ease. My thumb is worn from controlling or trying to control her with the spool. Just a thick big fish that was not in anyway giving up. Finally got her to boat after the 4-5th time and as soon as we put hands on her she surged under the boat breaking the first 1 foot of rod tip. So now the fight was still on with a broken rod. I needed up winning and was able to give her a kiss on the lips. Great battle! I ended up landing other fish that day and jumped a ton more. Day 4 was brutal. Weather was even better, warmer and sunnier which usually means great Tarpon fishing but they would not eat. Just keep thumbing the plugs but not opening mouths. Got out the fly rod when fish started laying up and got a few to eat but not landed. In the end I broke done reel, 3 plugs, 1 rod in just 4 days and landed a bunch of fish and fought a ton! Epic fishing!
Scott

Revinchev

Re: March Everglades Tarpon Trip, again....

Post by Revinchev » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Very cool Scott! Thanks for sharing
Nick

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:37 pm

[smilie=bow.gif] What else can I say!!

mskyprey

Post by mskyprey » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Hey Scott,

Are you using the same outfitter from 2013? I am going to be in Ft Meyers on business in mid march and am thinking a tarpon trip would be fun!

Moski

Post by Moski » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Bonita Springs Fishing&Guide, Capt. Steve Nagy. Look him up on facebook.

mskyprey

Post by mskyprey » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:59 pm

Thanks Brad!

detroithardcore

Post by detroithardcore » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:18 am

Yeah, I fish with Cpt. Jon Sebold of SFP Fishing Outfitters but he's down in the Marco Island area. Only 40 minutes from Ft. Meyers. March is fantastic Tarpon Fishing in the Everglades and Marco Island area. You should really try and book a day with him. You won't regret it....especially in March!
Scott