Any advise for inexperienced musky fisherman

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

DeanV

Any advise for inexperienced musky fisherman

Post by DeanV » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:46 pm

A few falls ago (the year the state record was caught in Thornapple) I gave musky fishing a try with no success. Tried a couple times the next summer in Thornapple, but it was such a zoo, I gave up. This year I plan on making it my goal to actually catch a musky while trying to instead of by accident while bass fishing. I am thinking that Murray or Campau (I live in Jenison) would be a better lake than Thornapple to try. Tackle wise, I have a 7' MH St. croix premier musky rod a 9 and 10' Jake, a bulldawg regular, salmo slider, suick, a couple super shad raps, an Invader, a couple Lindy spinner baits and vibrax bucktails, and a some Tiger Tubes, Big Sluggo's and a couple of those jig and plastic things that In-Fisherman kept writing about. Any essential gear that I am missing? I also build my own rods, so if there are any blanks you guys recommend I would build my own rod and would appreciate any input.

I was also wondering about muskies in the Grand River near Ada and is there a fishable population there? Any advice you guys may have is welcome. Thanks

Dean

LonB

Post by LonB » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:29 pm

I'm not going to give you much advice as I'm in a similar boat.

I've not musky fished in over 10 years and I'm only 27 so I wasn't in position to really soak up the knowledge when I did fish them.

But after analyzing some of the decisions we made back then, I'm really excited to give it a go this year and think my chances of a good year are pretty good.

The hobby I'm getting out of required VERY complex observation skills. Disect as much of the info as you can even on days that netted you diddly squat. That is one of the mistakes that we made then. Aside from extremely bad conditions there shouldn't be any "bad days" IMO. I will fully expect relative success each and everytime out. If I don't see that I'll do the best to figure out why..

Just my opinions.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:46 am

Dean:

I posted this in our members only area a few days ago but I think it's appropriate here also.
Hire a guide that puts a TON of fish in the boat. BUT don't hire them to take you fishing tell them you just want to ride along while they fish and you'll ask questions. You'll want to act like a three year old - Why did you...? Why is the boat...? Why that...? Why this...? Why? Why? Why?

THEN find another guide that approaches fishing differently and hire them to do the same thing. If you did this correctly and really asked the right questions, observed and took notes you could cut YEARS off your learning curve.

While there aren't any guides in Michigan, I would suggest a trip to Indiana with guides in the North Webster area.
http://www.icemansguideservice.com
http://www.mikehulbert.com
http://www.vinceweirick.com

It sounds like you have a good start on equipment, many people start off without the right equipment and get frustrated. A muskie rod/baitcast reel with at least 80 lb. superbraid and a good steel leader is the right terminal tackle.

Other essentials:
A muskie friendly net is probably the next most important thing. Beckman Fin Saver and the Stowmaster nets are fish friendly, meaning they remove minimal amounts of slime and cause fewer split fins. The biggest net you can afford makes everything easier from netting the fish to unhooking them in the water. You won't find these at the local sporting goods shops. They can be ordered or your nearest Gander Mountain can transfer one in from a Minnesota or Wisconsin store.

Here's what the Beckman looks like:

Along with the net you'll need the right release tools. Hookouts, jaw spreader, mini-bolt cutters, long nose pliers, etc.

As far as the Grand near Ada having a fishable population of muskies I would offer that you have as much chance catching a muskie there as you would casting in your front yard. Though you might catch a good number of pike over there on the Grand.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Dean,
Your on the right track as far as local lakes.I live in Grandville and I fish
those same lakes.Although I dont believe its E-Z,there are some fish to be
had.Get a few Little Claws(see Kingfisher),try some Jakes(Musky Mania)
and troll some Lokes.
My best advice is to get out while you can,...cuz' once you get bit,your HIT!!.

DeanV

net size

Post by DeanV » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:42 am

What size bag would I want on the net? I was wondering about the Grand because I think I saw a musky listed a while back from there in the Master angler list and there was a picture in the GR Press about one caught below the thornapple dam there in Ada so thought it might be an underfished population possibly, oh well. I have a hook out, bolt cutter, misc. pliers. I will need to get the jaw spreader. Do you guys mostly use barbless hooks or not? I must say though, that safely unhooking and releasing a large musky while fishing alone looks to be a challenge.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:30 am

Dean:

Get the largest net you can fit in your boat, the one in the photo is the Beckman Finsaver Magnum. The big net makes it easier to net fish, especially if alone. The big net also gives fish plenty of room after it's netted. If they have room around them and can keep their head under water while in the net they will stay calm.

Unhooking a fish while alone isn't really any different than when with someone. With the fish in the water, you can take your time and be safe.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

finlander

equipment

Post by finlander » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:32 am

When it comes to bolt/hook cutters, only one is needed-Knipex. They are pricey, but will go through any hook. I went the cheeper route at first-$15.99 from Rollie and Helens. Did not last a season. Don't do what I did. Drill a hole in the end of one handle and attach a cord and tie that to the boat somewhere. I was over the side snipping hooks on a muskie at Murray in October, and I did not have it attached. Luckily I did not drop it. The newer models may have a loop intheir covered handles already. Enjoy. ( Did I miss anything fellas? :oops: )