Help/Opinions on rod/reel

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Vito

Help/Opinions on rod/reel

Post by Vito » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Hoping you guys/gals can give me some advice here. I am pretty novice when it comes to muskie casting gear. I'm looking for a muskie rod/reel for my 10 year old daughter, and son who will use it eventually too. Something that would be good for a kid. Are there any good options out there? Also, any good place to find used gear? I would prefer to buy used as the kids will probably beat the heck out of it. Thanks in advance.

weatherby

Post by weatherby » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:03 pm

Someone else may be able to give you better advice but I was in sorta the same situation as you. Actual musky equipment was to heavy for my kids so I stepped down to heavy bass equipment for them to start. I had a extra 6 1/2' mh rod and quantum reel which had the knob on the side to adjust the magnets in the reel. I gradually turned the knobs down to release tension on the magnets and let them make further casts as they progressed with a bait caster. Once they got comfortable with that setup I found a 7 1/2' 2 piece bass pro musky rod that can be balanced. So I balanced it for them and that is what they still use today with the original quantum reel. I have it spooled with mono seeing they still get birds nests and I have ran out of braid for now

jawtag

Post by jawtag » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:07 pm

I know Tackle industries has a youth rod. As for what reel to get I would go with a Lexa 300 you can find them new on Amazon for around $140 new or look on M1 for a used one. They are easy to use and about the smallest "muskie" reel I know of.
A fish in the sewer is better than none in the pool, or something, I think -Duke

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:36 pm

Vito, I've got a St. Croix 6'6" MH that's just sitting here doing nothing. My hands get tired from arthritis. I use Amb 6500's and 5500's. I switch to the 5500 when my hands are tired and they are small. New I think they are only $90. I'd watch the stuff on Ebay, bought some and they were junk. Muskies 1 would probably be better Steve. I meant to say you can have the rod.
Last edited by Steve S on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vano397

Post by vano397 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:06 pm

300 curado's are nice too, but a bit more. there are a few good 7' and 7 1/2' rods out there that don't weight too much. And like was said before the heavier bass stuff isn't too under powered, a lot of the crankin rods would be good for throwing smaller spinners like single 8's and whatnot, but you want something faster and heavier for the gliders. the st croix mojo 7'2" mh and 7'6" mh and h would be good options, as they are pretty light weight.
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

Vito

Post by Vito » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:22 am

Thanks guys for the help! I'm thinking she will for the most part fish stuff that she can straight line retrieve.

Steve,

Thanks for your generous offer! PM sent.

mattman

Post by mattman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:39 pm

I just got some XXH rods from cabelas on sale for around $60 and picked one up from the bargin cave for like $30 with a broken tip guide($4). For reels I got 2 Lexa's off ebay for $130 with free shipping new in box. So far no complaints. also got 80lb power pro off ebay for $30 for 300 yards. the rods maybe alittle big for your kids now but the reels they will never out grow.