up/tahquananon river musky question

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

thorzep

up/tahquananon river musky question

Post by thorzep » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:29 pm

my dad and i are planning a trip up north to try our hand at landing our first muskies. we are looking just to catch some not necessarily huge ones...although that would be nice to get into a bigger one. i read an article that suggested that tahquamanon river was a good bet at landing one. we were thinking about going the 23 of may. is this a good time to try this area or should we wait till later in the year? also if there are any inland lakes in that area we could use as backup that anyone wouldnt mind sharing that would be most appreciated. we have a 14 ft aluminum with a 10hp. also are the bugs going to be a big problem this time of year? just want to know what to expect. i hooked one a while back on accident that made short work of my bass gear once it saw the boat and ive been itching to catch one ever since!!! thanks

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:59 pm

So there are some Tahq experts on here that may give you some more info but here is my [smilie=2c.gif]. The tahq is one of the better numbers waters in the state and a good place for a beginner to go try and catch a first fish. Most of the fish are small, at least 80% of the fish are gonna be under 40" long. Make sure you have the right gear and release tools ready before you target these fish. There are fish all through the river, below the falls, above the falls, and in the flooding areas upstream from newberry. Not sure on your timing going in may, the Mosquitoes can get horrific up there but are generally at their worst in June so you may be ok for that. The water may be high and still pretty cold in May though. If I was going to fish the river I would prolly go in late summer/fall. Aug-oct. If your interested in joining as a MMA member there is more info and old fishing reports in the members only section of the forum as well.

vano397

Post by vano397 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Pretty much what mayhem said... the only thing I would add is that size structure seems to g o up as you go down stream. But, from what I hear the numbers go down too, which is a farily common scenario.

As for your other question about other local lakes, there is plenty up there towards Munising. The michigan fishstock report will give you ideas on any lakes up there. I think you will be fine on any of those waters, (including the river) in the boat you described. And will probabaly be better off in some of the lakes. There really isn't any natural lakes in the eastern UP so the lakes listed in the fish stock report are about it. Have fun, and like mayhem said, there are a lot of reports in the member section and other threads that can you can search and find out good info! heres the link to the fish stock report:
http://www.michigandnr.com/fishstock/
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

thorzep

Post by thorzep » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:31 pm

we were thinking may......because typically we go to canada fishing for pike that week...i guess i may be thinking too much like a pike and not a musky.. we always did better for good sized pike up there when it was a little colder still (and before the black flies)