Musky arsenal

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

weatherby

Musky arsenal

Post by weatherby » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 pm

I concider myself to have a fairly good selection of musky baits but i want to expand into a couple different areas. Mainly bulldogs and jerkbaits. I have always thought of them 2 baits as fall baits and have no clue where i got that idea. I mainly fish the opener thru the end of August then get too busy to chase musky past then. So with that being said for those of you who use them do you use them at all from May till August and if so what size/colors are your favorite? If it helps my 3 main spots are St Clair, Ovid and Sanford Lakes. Tanx ahead of time

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:27 pm

I like them all season long. Reg, mag, and pounder sizes. Can't go wrong with the basic colors-Black, walleye and cisco. Black and orange does well too.
Rick

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:55 pm

I basically throw regulars around the opener, mags in May/June and then Pounders from then on. Cisco, black/orange, walleye/white tail, walleye/orange tail, and sucker will mainly cover the colors.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Duke

Post by Duke » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:05 am

I think its time to go lure shopping! Here's my opinion: on Dawgs- for St. Clair- definite must have all year, Ovid- moderately important beginning June or so, Sanford- somewhat important beginning Juneish or if you want to devote time to fishing the channel.

And for jerkbaits, St. Clair- moderately important all year, Ovid- definite must have all year, Sanford- definite must have all year! That's just me, but these are my go-to baits

tundrawalker00

Alpha dogs?

Post by tundrawalker00 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:48 pm

Where does everyone think the alpha dogs fit into the season? Mag bodies with pounder tails?

Jim tenHaaf

Re: Alpha dogs?

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:11 pm

tundrawalker00 wrote:Where does everyone think the alpha dogs fit into the season? Mag bodies with pounder tails?
I don't think it would be a seasonal thing but ratheran option to use on a lake were the fish have seen a lot of dawgs. Or, maybe in a stained water where a little more thump is needed.

weatherby

Post by weatherby » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Tanx for da info guys. I placed a order today and seen they make them bulldawgs in firetiger now so had to get one in my favorite color also. 2 Weeks from tomorrow [smilie=2thumbsup.gif]