new muskie fishermen

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

mengels

new muskie fishermen

Post by mengels » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Hey guys i am new to muskie fishing i was wondering if a dipsy diver rod from a salmon fishing boat would be able to work its 9ft long and is fairly stiff. also wondering on some reel recommendations i live in Grandville and would most likely be fishing thornapple lake or lake macatawa. also what are some need to have baits and some local bait shops that have muskie stuff. I am on a budget and don’t want to spend more then 200$ or rod reel and start up baits

Thanks mark

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:33 pm

As you can imagine getting started in your price range buying new is pretty much impossible. You'll want to look around for good deals on used equipment and lures. This is a good source for reels, rods and lures:
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/f ... .asp?fid=6

Back to your question... A dipsey rod would be OK for trolling but not for casting, if you're just planning to troll then you'll be OK. Match it with a good quality trolling reel and 40-50# mono, or 80-100# braid. You'll want good quality trolling leaders and you can find those at: http://www.stealthtackle.net/store/

If you meant is the rod OK for casting then the answer is no, you would hate it. That said, it isn't impossible to outfit yourself with a good rod and reel for $200. I would look for something used that will work for most lures. A MH or H action rod somewhere between 8' and 9' should be fairly easy to find used and will handle most lures. As with trolling you want to have the right leader because you don't want to lose lures and you certainly don't want to kill fish because of a failed leader.

Lastly and most importantly, before you go make sure you're prepared to catch and release a muskie. The right tools and a big enough net are important. See this: http://youtu.be/0FHyVsyMBeM

Must have lures will depend on what you want to do, some trolling lures cross over to casting and some casting lures cross over to trolling. If you're planning to do one or the other it will be much easier to make a selection.

Locally you aren't going to find much at most of the shops, at least anything you'll want. I haven't been in the new Cabelas but I've heard their selection is going to be good so you may want to try out there. There is an MMA member working in the fishing department that could assist you!!
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:31 pm

There is an MMA member working in the fishing department that could assist you!!
Mark, Will's advice is always spot on and if you can find a used Musky rod than do it!

I just want to add, I got into this sport just a few years ago and started out exactly like you did with a 6'6" rod from gander mountain, a cheap reel, and 20lb. mono. I learned quickly that my equipment wouldn't cut it fishing heavy lures which got eaten by BIG fish. Here's my advice which I wish someone would have given me when I started. Too bad I didn't post like you did [smilie=brickwall.gif]

If you are casting

1. Get a rod that is over 8' that is designed for muskies

2. Use 80lb braided line (I know it sounds like a lot, it's crucial though!)

3. If you are starting out on a budget most reels in the $100 range will last you a few seasons which will allow you to gain experience and decide if you want to invest a lot of money into a high quality reel.

These are a two suggestions that I have personal experience with and are great starter reels. The 400 model size is my preference...

Shimano Cardiff - $119

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/ ... rdiff.html

Okuma Akena - $110

https://www.okumafishing.com/product/vi ... ound/akena

If you are really not looking to spend money then...

Corvalus $79 - but it has a high potential to run into troubles quickly...

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content ... valus.html
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:43 am

You might want to check out the bargain cave at Cabela's as I think there is a Musky Innovations rod in there with just a broken tip on in. That might be your best bet as it will be on sale and then all you would have to do is replace the top line guide (which will only be $5 or so).
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:21 pm

I use two dipsy rods for trolling. As Will stated Dipsy rods work fine for trolling. I have used Daiwa Black widows and Heartlands in the past. I have Shimano Taloras now and they are tops in my book for a 10 foot out rod. I also use shorter 7 foot rods in the prop wash using those dipsy rods to move baits out away from those prop wash rods. 10 to 12 foot dipsy rods are great for spreading out your presentation.

Cast rods are an entirely different rod. The rule I follow is Glass or glass composite rods for trolling and Graphite rods for casting. Jason can set you right up at Cabelas. Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

mengels

Post by mengels » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks guys for all of the good info. I guess I should have stated that I primarily will be casting and not trolling. also what makes a reel good for muskie fishing and why. also Chris why do you see many problems with the Corvalus. Will thanks for the bargain website and for the video on releasing the fish. I have spoken with Jason at Cabelas. I will probably be making another trip there when i get home next. Also are there another places besides Cabelas that sell gear or is it mostly there and online sites

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Chris why do you see many problems with the Corvalus.
The Corvallis has less bearings so after casting heavy lures, a few backlashes or accidentally engaging the reel on a cast the reel has a higher potential to wear quickly.

Also obviously the reel won't be quite as smooth with less bearings

The biggest difference between reels is the bearings, drag system, and quality of components. A higher quality reel will have better components and will be less likely to loosen up after a season. Once the bearings go the gear and pinion will begin to wear and before you know it you the reel will be a chore to use.

I have wasted a TON of money on reels. Honestly if you are just starting out and are restricted by a budget I don't think the Corvallis is a horrible decision because within a season you should save up some money and buy a high quality reel which will last a long time and will be much more enjoyable to fish.
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:10 pm

mengels wrote:Thanks guys for all of the good info. I guess I should have stated that I primarily will be casting and not trolling. also what makes a reel good for muskie fishing and why. also Chris why do you see many problems with the Corvalus. Will thanks for the bargain website and for the video on releasing the fish. I have spoken with Jason at Cabelas. I will probably be making another trip there when i get home next. Also are there another places besides Cabelas that sell gear or is it mostly there and online sites
Most retailers in the area aren't interested in the muskie market because it's so small. You may find a handful of lures at Gander and Dicks but you aren't going to be impressed by the selection. Keep an eye out for rod sales in the next couple weeks, you may be able to get a good deal on a new rod.

I'll qualify this that I do have an affiliation with Okuma but that is only because I believe in their product. I've been extremely impressed with the durability of the Okuma Akena 400. The only issues I've had were because I let them get really dirty before cleaning, after cleaning they were back to normal. I put them through lots of hard use on my boat with many people that are using a baitcasting reel for the first time. If you're on a budget you can't beat this reel, heck and even if you're not on a budget.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:40 pm

I looked and looked through all my stuff and did not find much used stuff Im not using . I do have a St Croix Avid 6 foot 6" rod that would work well for jerk baits , jack pots and such . Most of us like longer rods, however I used this rod for 6 years. I also have an ABU Garcia 5500 that needs a pinion shaft which is 7 bucks . I can order that shaft if you want the reel. I would sell this rig for 75 bucks. The Rod is very cue stick like and has quality guides. The reel is a rebuild project I never finished. It is spooled with 80 pound power pro. Ill even throw in a few leaders and a couple baits for 100 even. That is about it . We build lures and right now the shop is pumping out tons of stuff. I have some cranks, lots of bucktails , and used lures on the wall. You visit the shop and I can get you on the water fishing for 100 bucks. Mike ,231-821-9020 http://www.fishall-lures.com

One other thing, Abu reels are very durable. I keep a 6500 in my boat as a spare for that reason. This rig would work pretty well for live bait and as a back up after you get something new. Most of us used Abu reels for years when we got started. I forgot all about this one and found it in the box when I looked to see if I had anything you could use.
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:59 pm

That rod id is no longer available. Ill sell you rebuilt reel for 40 bucks if you want it. Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:50 am

You can fins baits and stuff on e-bay. You can also get some cheaper prices on Amazon. Like Will said there is alot of good stuff on Muskies First.

vano397

Post by vano397 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:43 pm

I was in the new cabelas today and was kind of suprised at the musky selection. Pretty much any backtail/double ten youd ever need. A decent amount of big rubber a few god cranks and lots of suicks and some good topwater. Didnt get a look at terminal tackle or rods and reels but the lure selection was nice.
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:32 am

I saw this on ebay item 400449550325, is a Plano box with a bunch of muskie baits, starting bid $49.99.

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:13 pm

vano397 wrote:I was in the new cabelas today and was kind of suprised at the musky selection. Pretty much any backtail/double ten youd ever need. A decent amount of big rubber a few god cranks and lots of suicks and some good topwater. Didnt get a look at terminal tackle or rods and reels but the lure selection was nice.
We've got a lot of rods and reels too actually. Musky mojo, musky innovations, Cabela's brand, st. croix preimers and legends, revo toros/winches, tranx, revo Nacl, calcuttas, etc.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

tundrawalker00

Post by tundrawalker00 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:29 pm

Mark, I noticed today that the rod prices at www.tackleindustries.com are reduced right now with $5 shipping. I think the reel recommendations you got here are pretty good, although I'd check at a local reel-repair shop for starters. Take note of what's on MuskieFirst and see if they'll keep an eye out for you.

As far as lures, there was a fair selection of Tyrant Tilkytails in the Dick's bargain bin at the Lakes Mall last week. Good double-8 and double-10 spinners to get you started. I built my tackle supply from bargain bins for the first five years. Just be somewhat discriminating. If you wouldn't cast it with confidence, don't buy it.

If you want big rubber, try the TI site again.

Good luck,
Brian Mulherin
Ludington