Planting Gun Lake?

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Chuck S.

Planting Gun Lake?

Post by Chuck S. » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Read a DNR news item which mentioned public discussion is open this Spring for potential future muskie plantings in Gun Lake. Didn't know about that but hopefully there won't be public opposition. I wonder what side of the fence the local homeowner association will be on?? Should be a great place to put muskies!
Chuck

kmur

Post by kmur » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:03 pm

I don't think they are looking into stocking Gun Lake, just considering giving it a higher size limit. I do plan on attending the meeting.

Several local regulation proposals will be discussed at the meeting, including the following:

Remove Corey Lake (St. Joseph County) from the Type B Trout Lakes list.
Increase muskellunge minimum size limit from 42 to 46 inches on Gun Lake (Barry County) to protect this naturally reproducing

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:55 pm

Its been a while since I sniffed around some of the locals in the Gun Lake area but it didn't seem like they cared for muskies very much.

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:17 pm

My great uncle/aunt and 2nd cousin live on the lake in a summer home. Across the street is the president of the lake association, and her son takes quite a large interest in fishing for large toothies in Gun. He has caught pike up to 44" there, and other fairly large ones regularly. He's been trying for muskies as well without any luck. So, hopefully he has some pull with his dear Mom...! I've been meaning to get over there and talk with her about the muskies in the lake.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Gun is on the radar for sure. The first step is this round of public meetings. There will be meetings later in the year to get into the details of restoring the native GLS. The stocking was ended due to local pressure on the DNR, now 30 years later hopefully even those who put pressure on the DNR to stop stocking will see the lake is worse off without muskies.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.