What do you do when Muskie season is slowing down???

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Chasin50

What do you do when Muskie season is slowing down???

Post by Chasin50 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:44 pm

Had to get out and do a little walleye fishing...

Here is a link to another board where I posted the story.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum ... p?t=118056

Phil Turk

Post by Phil Turk » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:33 am

Great fish!

NSTAGATOR

Post by NSTAGATOR » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:08 am

Is that santa with the red nose????Did it really take you guys an hour to get the boat back on the trailer??WOW :shock:

Dave

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:39 am

It took an hour to shovel the ramp. Two minutes to get the boat on the trailer and out. It was a fun night...

Scrappy

Post by Scrappy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:29 am

Nice fish Chad. I had the same idea as you, every year I meet a buddy of mine up on Little Bay de Noc out of Gladstone over T.G. This year was no exception and we caught some nice fish, biggest eye was 30 1/2 inches about 10 1/2 lbs (they are real fat up there this time of year) and a bonus 42 inch northern came aboard Wednesaday night. All caught trolling stick baits with lead core after dark. We were doing the breaking the ice thing to get in and out as well. Just when you thought musky fishing was crazy we all go and do that kind of sick stuff.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:28 pm

Cool... or should I say COLD.

I'm not sure why fishing in that kind of weather is fun but I love it - great story. The real trick is getting the boat dried out before the cold sets in for good!
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:27 pm

Sounds like some great fall fishing Scott! Nice Northern to boot! I have never fished with lead core... We were running Rapala Husky Jerks about 40-60' back. I need to look at the depth curve, but I can't imagine they are running deeper than 12'.

Scrappy

Post by Scrappy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:55 pm

Will, you will laugh, I was out Friday morning for an hour and a half with a blow drier to get one box with all the lures and the live well opened since my buddy and I forgot the sacred rule of never closing a box on the boat overnight in the cold. Last year a bunch of guys used an industrial heater under their boat cover to try to get their boxes open. They fell asleep in the cabin and when they came out to check on the thawing process 2 hours later they discovered their lexan windshields and face of their Lowrance unit had melted down...broke my heart to see it.

Chad, I'll have to look at the dive cure too but my guess is you'd be hard pressed to get deeper than 7 feet if you weren't going over 2.5 mph and we always troll at a crawl, usually never over 1.6 mph. Lead core is a really good deal. Next time I see you I'll tell you what we run but bottom line is it will get J-18's down to about 20 feet over 24 to 32 feet of water going 1.4 to 1.6 mph which is right where you need for Bay de Noc.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:35 pm

I run husky down deeps a lot of the time you on saginaw bay in the spring and summer mainly huskys in the spring and down deeps in june to august on 10 lb test line 1.8 mph you can get them down 19 to 20 ft ?
Gabe

Cyberlunge
Site Admin

Post by Cyberlunge » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:10 am

Chad,
When you rigged the "bait" back up did you use a lift-off rig? :twisted: :twisted:
When Dave and I were up on Lac Vieaux Desert A few years back we went into the bait shop for some meat and they had 30+ inch suckers in the tank. We asked what they were for and the lady told us there were a group of guys that come up every year and they would special order these because they would not use anything under thirty for bait. That was the day we decided 8" lures were now considered "small" baits.
Seriously though NICE fish! It justifies the frozen fingers :)
Kevin