Shimano Calcutta Ljv

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

ricky sox wrangler

Shimano Calcutta Ljv

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:25 pm

Used this reel for the first time over the weekend. Very nice reel. One bad thing about it that I learned about this reel is that it will self engage occasionally on the cast. NOT GOOD. Especially when using heavy lures. I ran into someone on the water who I know uses these reels exclusively. He told me I had to keep my thumb pressed down on the thumb bar during the whole cast. I THOUGHT that's what I already did while thumbing the spool. Actually, I wasn't doing it completely. After I made the adjustment I had no problems. Kind of uncomfortable to get used to. It took distance away from my casts until I got somewhat used to it. I made about 10 of those reel wrecking self engaging casts [smilie=bangtard.gif] .
So if anyone is thinking of obtaining one of these, this is something to think about. It may not be a problem with the double paddle handle.
Rick

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:40 pm

Its mainly only a problem if you have a power handle on them. Definately annoying but they weren't really designed for heavy lures.
Last edited by Mayhem on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:45 pm

That's weird, the only handle mine came with was a power handle. I thought that's the way I've seen them advertised as well.
Rick

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:55 pm

haha whoops my bad, for some reason I had a major reading comprehension fail and read "shimano curado" which do in fact have the same engaging problem when people put oversized power handles on them for muskie fishing. I have no idea why your reel would be doing that. Yeah one of the difference between the LJV and the TE is the the LJV comes with a power handle, so it definately shouldn't be doing that because of the handle.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:51 pm

That's dumb... Why wouldn't they provide a balanced power handle with a reel that engages with a turn of the handle?

Another option is to change your casting motion if holding the thumbar isn't comfortable. Baitcasters should be cast with your hand in a throwing position, basically the palming plate or reel handle should be facing the water (depending on if you're casting left or right hand). This should stop the handle from turning on the cast.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:33 pm

Will, I do start that way. After 9,999 casts with large rubber I start to get sloppy.....lol
Rick

esoxfly

Post by esoxfly » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:59 pm

They come with with a single power handle becaue technically, they're designed as a jigging reel; not meant to be cast. I've used LJV's in the past and just hold the thumb bar down and it works fine for me. I hold the thumb bar down on my Tranx as well, even though everyone says you don't need to...I don't want to find out that you do!

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:05 pm

Speaking of LJVs, has anyone tried those Lucanus type saltwater jigs on muskies?
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.