PowerDrive 80LB Minnkota trolling motor

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

chipdon

Post by chipdon » Sun May 13, 2012 8:52 am

i use the pd 1 and troll most of the time best part i can control the boat while working on any rod in the boat //i was going to change to i pilot but tried one with a friend it held the boat in one spot but not pointing in same direction our boards were a mess
a bad day fishing is better than a good day ______

LonLB

Post by LonLB » Thu May 31, 2012 4:52 pm

MuskyDan wrote:
Will Schultz wrote:
MuskyDan wrote:I just bought a new 70lb v2 w/o universal sonar or auto pilot for 650 so that price is awesome!!! On a side note, with the power drives you have to give up the foot control in order to put on the I-pilot, is it worth it?
Not sure how I would do it... I kinda need two hands to cast retrieve. It probably depends on how/what you fish. I don't like the motor to be on constantly and prefer to drive the boat instead of the boat driving me. I can see instances where the iPilot would be good for other species but I wouldn't use it muskie fishing. Maybe it's just the "old school" in me that learned how to properly run a boat with a cable steer.
I had one cable driven motor and it drove me nuts! It wasn't that I couldn't control the boat as much as it was standing off balance trying to run the motor and fish at the same time while dealing with a small boat in big winds!!!

That is what recessed trays and from what I hear a Troll Perfect is for. I'm gonna order a Troll Perfect here pretty soon. [smilie=sign-hijacked.gif] [smilie=sign-hijacked.gif]

LonLB

Post by LonLB » Thu May 31, 2012 4:59 pm

detroithardcore wrote:I love my 101 Maxxum and the responsiveness of turning quickly but it's a pain in the butt in heavy winds or in really fast current on LSC. I can see the IPilot being great to spot-lock once a fish is hooked, landed etc in the heavy current. Or to fish without having to touch the pedal or motor after saving a path. To keep you within 5 feet regardless of wind and current seems awesome! Most days doing a drift/or going up current is easy with my motor but on those really windy days/or heavy current I cant take my foot off of pedal. I'd love the IPilot for this application. Going up current, is also a pain... If I have to leave the bow, change baits or anything in the boat the motor will swing one way or another quickly. Drives me nuts! Spinning the boat back quickly.

I'm in the decision making process now of selling my 101 Maxxum for a 101 Terrova. Decisions, decisions.. Plus another $1800 expense. I've gotten very comfortable running the boat in these brutal conditions but I sure would sometimes just love to worry about fishing rather than constantly keeping my foot on pedal.

Might want to check the Troll Perfect I talked about earlier. Lots of the bass guys SWEAR BY THEM.
http://www.trollperfect.com/Pages/default.aspx

Pretty simple item.

Here is a video about the troll perfect on GLB
http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/ind ... ic=11186.0