Lake Ovid

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

shdbfishn

Lake Ovid

Post by shdbfishn » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:02 pm

Is Lake Ovid still a weed choked lake? If not when is the best time of the year to fish it? I was there about 10 years ago and spent the entire time clearing weeds. [smilie=brickwall.gif]
shdbfishn

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:42 am

The weed lines on Ovid are pretty defined and after a couple passes you can pretty much cast right to the edge and have success. It gets frustrating at times, but if you focus on keeping your casts short of the weedline you will definitely still find fish.
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:44 am

Ovid is still weedy, but somewhat less than it used to be. It gets 2 major crops of weeds each year- first the curly leaf pondweed, which lasts until mid-June or so until it virtually completely dies out. Then the eurasian milfoil replaces it in all the same places, plus more. Both types will all but blanket everything <8' deep, and grow sparser deeper.

I recommend fishing it in May in the curly leaf phase. The water should be clearer, which will help you find/fish the edges. When the water gets murkier it gets frustrating trying to keep lures clear of weeds you can't see. And curly leaf is much more pleasant in that you can rip lures through it and clear of it when you do snag some (milfoil does not).

Ovid is still a weed factory though- so don't expect anything else. Huge weed beds grow in the middle of the lake. But its still a decent fishery, so definitely don't write it off. Good luck

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:55 am

There was no curly leaf to speak of at all last year. I suspect this year will be similar. And compared to what it was 8 years ago, it's far less weedy now even when the milfoil is peaking.
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

waterwolfhunter

Post by waterwolfhunter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:51 am

weeds are pretty thick right now, yet very defined weedlines. You can keep baits in the strike zone pretty easily as long as you are paying attention. There are some good fish to be caught out there. Caught a 41.5" on June 29th and had a follow from a 43-45" fish as well. Topwater got the follow and a double cowgirl got the strike. Great little lake and cant complain about the fact that it is almost always calm! a nice change after fishing LSC all the time.