Abu Garcia c4???

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

vano397

Abu Garcia c4???

Post by vano397 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:40 am

Just trying to get a quick idea from people on these reels. Anyone use them? and what good/bad can you give me??? Like most I am drawn by the line retrieve, and line capacity (over the low profiles) yet still mantaining the auto clutch with your thumb and levelwind... I'm normally a shimano guy, but Im feeling the need to look elsewhere to get what I want.
I have the shimano curado 300 EJ on order, but Im concerned about this and big dawgs and stuff, any comments there too would help!
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

detroithardcore

Post by detroithardcore » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 pm

I got a Abu C4 that I've used once. It's not a bad JerkBait reel with the gear ratio you can pick up line fast. I fell in love with my Curado 301E and have only had the C4 as a back up reel. I personally feel the Curado is a much better reel and one of the perfect Jerkbait reels. I've used the Curado for dawgs but prefer a Calcutta TE. I think light jerkbaits the C4 would be fine but I've always had issues with Abu reels. I've bent the handles on a Record and 6501 TC setting the hook on fish. I wouldn't rule out the Abu Toros. Those are nice reels and I have a winch which I love. I've hear the Toro's are great reels.
Scott

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:08 pm

I personally wouldn't reccomend it for much except dawgs, maybe topwaters. I have had mine for 3 years now and have had to send it back to Abu Garcia each of the last three years for various problems. The high gear ratio ( 6.3 to 1) makes it really tough to fish bucktails, big cranks, or about anything with much pull. I feel my C3 is a much better all around reel, and the lower (5.3 to 1) gear ratio is much nicer for most baits.

I just bought an Abu Garcia Revo Toro Winch 60 and LOVE IT! I bought it primarily for double 10's, and I wanted to try a low profile baitcaster for muskies. I went and tested it on some open water with a double 10 the other day and it appears to be worth every cent. Also I feel going back and forth between the traditional round style reel and a low profile should greatly reduce fatigue. Now we'll just have to see how it holds up to a season of abuse.
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:19 pm

I've owned several of the C4's many years ago and would not recomend them. The high speed gear ratio can't handle much abuse and breaks down fairly quickly. I had to keep replacing gears and finally gave up. IMO,they are just not beefy enough to handle musky casting all day long.

Grumman14

Post by Grumman14 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:37 pm

i used it for one year not one single problem. i used it for bucktails,gliders,cranks,spoons, and the occasional double ten. a little rough using double ten. other than that i would buy another one without a problem. the reel was used every fishing trip which would be twice a week.
I like Werewolf movies...

LonLB

Post by LonLB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:22 pm

They are great for jerkbaits, or small jerk plastics like the eels.

They have to work really to hard for cranks and bucktails. That isn't to say there is anything wrong with the reel, just that it is made for a specific purpose.

I have a 5500c4 I would be interested in trading, and/or selling. Like new condition.

Ranger

Post by Ranger » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:38 pm

I have a 6500c4 on my sucker rod because that reel has the "bait clicker" feature. Drop the sucker over the side to about 6-8', put rod in holder, hit the bait clicker and the spool release. The sucker swims along down and next to the boat while I cast. The bait clicker feature allows the muskie to grab and run with the sucker giving me time switch rods and set the hook.

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:28 am

I put a power handle on mine and use it for small bucktails and and twitching small cranks!! I love it.
MuskyDan