Salmon spawn

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Jim tenHaaf

Salmon spawn

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:30 pm

Can anyone give some insight to this? My family visited the Orchard Hill Farm on 68th St. in Dutton on Saturday. The owner said that the creek behind his house (I think it's called Glen Creek?) flows into Plaster creek a little ways down the road. For the last 40+ years, at this time, it always had Salmon running down it. Now this year, nothing. Any word/ideas why they wouldn't be there this year?

Will Schultz

Re: Salmon spawn

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:15 pm

Jim tenHaaf wrote:Can anyone give some insight to this? My family visited the Orchard Hill Farm on 68th St. in Dutton on Saturday. The owner said that the creek behind his house (I think it's called Glen Creek?) flows into Plaster creek a little ways down the road. For the last 40+ years, at this time, it always had Salmon running down it. Now this year, nothing. Any word/ideas why they wouldn't be there this year?
Low water this fall might have stopped them.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

biiigfish32

creek

Post by biiigfish32 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:47 pm

Alot of my buddies go down there and stand in the creek grabing salmon. theres signs in the park that says you cant do it.
Corey P (biiigfish32)

spnplugger

Salmon Spawn

Post by spnplugger » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:02 am

We know the state is planting fewer salmon due to a decrease in forage. But Will's statement on the low water is more then likely the culprit why they're not seeing any fish.

I went to the Grand by the Rogue yesterday to fish steelhead. It was so low that I questioned the safety of even launching, so I didn't.

Charlie

ccmovi8

Post by ccmovi8 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:51 am

In Marquette here we still havn't had our Salmon run. the water temps are way to warm still. I have been fishing with a friend that has lived here for 30 years and he has never seen the Salmon run this late, but he has never seen lake Superior get this warm also. I wonder if it's like this across the state?