Water temps

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Jim tenHaaf

Water temps

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Anyone have any temps to report after these couple days of 90's? Hopin to get out sooooooon.

ron berry

Post by ron berry » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:54 pm

the temps at skegmog have been 74 all week
The best fishermen i know is one who gets there butt kicked fishing for 12 hours, admits it and cant wait tell tomorrow to do it again

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:06 pm

my dad was at murray and said the temps were 80-81
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:44 pm

yea too hot for me to fish, going to canada friday anyway.. hopefully cool when i get back.

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:09 pm

ron berry wrote:the temps at skegmog have been 74 all week
What, you there right now? Got a cabin? Was that an invite? [smilie=brows.gif] [smilie=biggrin.gif]

Chris Barton

water temps

Post by Chris Barton » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:53 pm

Thornapple was 85.8 degrees at 8 pm on Wednesday evening. Tuesday night it was 82.5 at 8:30 when I went out to try and help some guys trolling for walleyes release a musky. The warm water did not help, but I think the gaff and the ripped gills is what really killed that fish. Monday afternoon it was 79 to 81 when we where out tubing and swimming with the kids.

I don't think the "cool" front that is moving through here tomorrow will do much to cool down the water.

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:02 am

Thats no good at all. I took tomorrow off work to hopefully fish Thorn for the first time. Do you think the rain (if we get any) will help much? I assume Austin is way too warm. I need to find somewhere to fish if possible I really dont want to waste this vacation day sitting at home.
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:04 am

Ovid was between 76 and 80°F on Monday afternoon.
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

pikerule2

Post by pikerule2 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:43 pm

I checked two non-muskie lakes the past three days, they were similar in size to SW muskie lakes (200-500 acres with decent depths). Anyway, 83-86 at the surface, seems time to give our fish a break on most waters (in my opinion), but maybe 80s for highs and some rains will help get waters down to 80 at the surface the next few days. I wonder if night fishing, even in higher water temps, is easier on the fish with at least the hot sun gone and not the max water temps of the day.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:18 pm

pikerule2 wrote:I wonder if night fishing, even in higher water temps, is easier on the fish with at least the hot sun gone and not the max water temps of the day.
The main problem with hot water is that is can't dissolve oxygen as well as cool water. It would seem to make sense that fishing at night with cooler water would be a good idea. However, unless it is very windy, the only way oxygen is getting into the water is from photosynthesis and at night photosynthesis can't happen. So even though the oxygen carrying capacity of the water may be higher the oxygen is being used and not replaced under cover of darkness.

Add to this that as the water warms the need for oxygen by all the animals in the water from bacteria to muskies increases substantially and you have the potential for problems.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Chris, how big was that fish and what kind of conversation did you have with these guys?

TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:07 pm

Will Schultz wrote:
pikerule2 wrote:I wonder if night fishing, even in higher water temps, is easier on the fish with at least the hot sun gone and not the max water temps of the day.
The main problem with hot water is that is can't dissolve oxygen as well as cool water. It would seem to make sense that fishing at night with cooler water would be a good idea. However, unless it is very windy, the only way oxygen is getting into the water is from photosynthesis and at night photosynthesis can't happen. So even though the oxygen carrying capacity of the water may be higher the oxygen is being used and not replaced under cover of darkness.

Add to this that as the water warms the need for oxygen by all the animals in the water from bacteria to muskies increases substantially and you have the potential for problems.
And to add to this the night time temperatures haven't been very low and have been around 74-75 degrees. The photosynthesis that takes place during daylight hours not only ceases during dark hours but also both plants and animals are using up the dissolved oxygen through respiration. A double whammy, if you will.

Chris Barton

water temps

Post by Chris Barton » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:46 pm

Thats no good at all. I took tomorrow off work to hopefully fish Thorn for the first time. Do you think the rain (if we get any) will help much? I assume Austin is way too warm. I need to find somewhere to fish if possible I really dont want to waste this vacation day sitting at home.
We got just over 1 inch of rain today and the water temps are still 84.1 degrees. We need alot of wind and some cooler nights to bring the temps back down.
Chris, how big was that fish and what kind of conversation did you have with these guys?
Steve, see the members only section.

Even with the 84 degree water temps this evening, there are least two musky boats out fishing right now.

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:45 am

No fishing for me anytime soon I guess. Thanks for the info on Thorn. I'm glad I didn't waste my gas driving up there only to be greeted by mid- 80's temps.
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Water temps on St. Clair are varied. Much cooler on the west end and northwest corner. The Area in front of the Thames is lethal at 87 degrees when we left on thursday. Couldnt fish there due to that hot water. Temps dropped as we moved west. 80- off the Belle and Ruscom where we hit that last fish on Thursday. Te3mps near Grosse Isle Yaht club about 76. I Imagine much cooler near the Channel coming out of the St. Clair river. Mike and Michelle
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com