Webster

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

NSTAGATOR

Webster

Post by NSTAGATOR » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:43 am

After reading a post on MHM message board from Mike Hulbert on his couple days of fishin....webster must be really THAT GOOD !!

I wish we could stock a few 750-1000acre lakes up here with a 5/acre ratio !!!

RATS !!

DU :twisted: :x :cry:

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:17 am

Didn't I just hear you saying that you were more interested in the expreience of muskie fishing? Not catching numbers of fish?

Webster is reasonably close, let the Hoosiers stock the trout, err... muskie pond. We only have a few lakes with shad and those couldn't support the number of fish that are in Webster. The most recent population estimate on Webster is 5 fish per acre! That's not the stocking level, that is the number of adult fish in the lake. In theory that puts you within casting distance of 2.5 muskies at all times. I haven't heard and official position from the I-DNR on the population but if I was a fish manager, I would be a little worried. High numbers of an alpha predator is cause for concern.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

NSTAGATOR

yep

Post by NSTAGATOR » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:28 am

yep that`s ME...LOL

I know muskies are muskies and some days you just can`t turn even a little shaver...but is it reasonable to say,you don`t have to be that good to score on webster??

I know the ice out shut a lot of people down..but are there many SKUNKS at Webby??

I thought when the population gets that high the risk of that bacteria disease goes way up and you also get stunted fish?

I know ohio lakes go through cycles sometimes of red spot,to high a population..pymatuning,clearfork,etc..

Dave :evil:

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:11 am

...but is it reasonable to say,you don`t have to be that good to score on webster??
Even a total rookie can look good if they only fish Webster :shock: :lol:

I have been down to Indiana a time or two since 1988. I have only been to Indiana twice when I haven't caught at least one muskie. Both times were in a certain persons white Ranger and both times were NOT on Webster. I have NEVER been to Webster without catching at least one muskie.

Yes, there are some major risks if the population gets too high. If the shad numbers stay high the fish should be OK. Stunting is usually a forage issue. Indiana has yet to produce a giant and Webster isn't were you would find her. Webster has some decent fish but it's numbers water.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:04 pm

I wish Sanford had just a little bit more in common with Webster. I still can't believe the numbers that lake has. How many actual giants come out of those waters? You here of some 50's, 51's, but do you really ever hear of 56-60? Is that just coming in time? Lakes like tippy? Is this a genetics thing? I was thinking about that last weekend while playing some shuffleboard.
MuskyDan

Bomba

Post by Bomba » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:42 pm

I think Low 50's is going to be about the max in webster....
there's the pinball wizard, and then there's SHUFFLE BOARD BOY!!! :lol:
Don Bomba

"PASS IT ON"