Shimano Curado's

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

swanezy
Site Admin

Shimano Curado's

Post by swanezy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:46 pm

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/p ... manoCurado

Now, idk how many of you guys have seen this reel in action on The Hunt For Big fish on vs. network, but this reel has really gotten my attention and I am wondering if anyone has tried it. I know its a high quality reel, and with a low profile but the stability and strength for big fish, i really am thinking of getting this reel, specially with a 6.2 gear ratio for burning big bucktails and other lures.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:04 pm

I've fished with one a little and it is a solid reel that is good for some applications. It was terrible (my opinion) with a double ten but was tolerable with a 10" kickin minnow, with an 8" jake it worked well and for most muskie baits it would be decent. To get the benefit of a high speed reel for big bladed bucktails the reel needs to have a large spool and big handle like the Trinidad or Saltist.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:23 pm

how big was the double cowgirl will. What do you think as far as lure size and ounces?

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:40 pm

Size and weight (11" and 3oz)wasn't the issue, it was trying to drag that pair of big blades through the water w/ a glorified bass reel. I think the retrieve is 30" per turn on that reel and with the small spool it wasn't comfortable. If you never planned to throw double 10 or double 12 blades with it then it would/should be OK for most baits.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:59 pm

interesting, i can see that.. any suggestions for a good bucktail only reel, something that could handle anything 1 ounce up? Ive looked at several, but would like something that could give me a fast retrieve double cowgirls, even some of the smaller cowgirls.

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:36 am

Not all bucktails are created equal. I cannot use the same rod/reel for my small mepps as I do for DCG's. You will have a very hard time finding a combo that will be perfect for both. IMHO you may need to find 2 different set-ups to accomplish what you are looking for.

Scott

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:32 am

I would agree w/ Scott that if you are going to throw double 10 and 12's often that you'll want a designated rod/reel. Even the rod needs to be different to handle the pull of these baits to make casting them all day comfortable.

You can get by with an all in one bucktail reel/rod by using something like the following w/ a power handle.
- Pflueger Trion Round 66
- Okuma Induron 400
- Calcutta 400

You'll have the power to grind a double 10 and be able to get good speed on smaller blades. The drawback would be that a rod w/ the power needed for the big blades isn't going to be the best for other bucktails.

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:50 am

Will Schultz wrote:You can get by with an all in one bucktail reel/rod by using something like the following w/ a power handle.
- Pflueger Trion Round 66
- Okuma Induron 400
- Calcutta 400
If you want a Calcutta 400, look here. Better be quick, though. Stuff moves fast on this site.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/f ... =5&start=1

mskyprey

Post by mskyprey » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:43 pm

How is this reel in comparison? You can not go wrong with the muskie engraving on the side [smilie=bow.gif]

http://www.jacksonlures.com/Commerce2/NewAbu.htm

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:03 pm

o yea i know i should of specified, i was more referring to the bigger bucktails, my mepps #5 i just throw on my smallest muskie setup dont throw anything larger than an ounce bait at the most on that

Ranger

Post by Ranger » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:19 pm

It's pretty easy to change/upgrade the gear(s) on older Ambassadeur 5000 and 6000 series reels. Check out Hatterass Outfitters for cool "reel candy". The Smoothie replacement drag washers for your 5000 or 6000 reels are terrific.

btw - recall those Abu "anti-backlash" reels that everybody didn't like? I have 4 or 5 I use all the time. But...I stripped out the anti-backlash stuff and rebuilt the reels with upgraded parts such as drag washers, adding a second bearing for the worm gear, handles that hold the pads well, etc. If you have one of those reels laying around, always in your way and stuff, please send it to me!

Bobsreef

Post by Bobsreef » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:01 am

The reel is the key in throwing double 10s & 12s, like Will said, a reel with a large spool and low ratio like 4.3-1 is perfect. But even with the right reel, running any bucktail, let alone the dlb 10s, can wear you out in a hurry if your holding the rod off to the side at any angle at all.
To reduce fatigue, and make running bucktails & dbl 10s more enjoyable, point your rod right down the line, pointing the tip directly at the lure, doing this makes the reel to do all the work. You can adjust your speed with how fast you crank, with no bend in the rod, there isn't any leverage creating additional resistance. This technique will allow you to throw these baits all day with ease. It also works with hard pulling crankbaits.
Last edited by Bobsreef on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

edalz

Post by edalz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:24 am

I have a couple of Calcutta TE 401's with the power handles and they work well but for big blades (size 13 & up) I like this 7001 by Abu Garcia. It has a low ratio (4.1:1) and is a beast but it also weighs 21 ounces so that is the trade off.

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/p ... ia7000iRed
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Tory

Post by Tory » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:56 pm

Ranger,

I have two Abu C4's that have the anti-reverse bearings blown out. Have you ever replaced those? I would like to fix the reels and get rid of them. I purchased two others that I blew up and took them back immediately. I have been fishing Shimano Cardiffs lately. For the money...they are great. I really don't think there is much of a difference to the basic Calcutta's except that the Calcutta has a machined frame...so far so good. I think I am done with the Abu's...I am pretty hard on my reels ripping jerkbaits...the Abu's just did not hold up. Anyone tried the Daiwa Luna's...they make a lefty, which I need, would like to give them a shot, but don't want to spend the money without talking to someone. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

TB

edalz

Post by edalz » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:23 am

Tory wrote:Ranger,

I have two Abu C4's that have the anti-reverse bearings blown out. Have you ever replaced those? I would like to fix the reels and get rid of them. I purchased two others that I blew up and took them back immediately. I have been fishing Shimano Cardiffs lately. For the money...they are great. I really don't think there is much of a difference to the basic Calcutta's except that the Calcutta has a machined frame...so far so good. I think I am done with the Abu's...I am pretty hard on my reels ripping jerkbaits...the Abu's just did not hold up. Anyone tried the Daiwa Luna's...they make a lefty, which I need, would like to give them a shot, but don't want to spend the money without talking to someone. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

TB
I am afflicted with the left hand retrieve as well and love my Calcutta 401 TE's (with a power handle) and I would look at ebay for one. Shimano has great customer service and guarantees the repair of a TE within 2 working days. I got one of these reels off ebay for $122.
"I wish ignorance was painful".