Sanford muskies ?

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Macatawa? Never even seen it. One of the few places in Michigan I haven't been to is Holland. They sell wooden shoes there or something, right? Sorry Kid, couldn't even begin to form an opinion.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:12 pm

kid coulson wrote:---little off topic waters-----

What about MAC ? Maybe a 40lber in there. Lots of drum and suckers
to munch on.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Season closes 3/15 and they're done spawning (most years) before the season opens again. Maybe in the fall but you have to pick the timing just right.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:16 pm

Im from holland and all the muskies caught out of Macatawa, are almost always by accident. There are so few in that area for the size of it. Last one i heard of was caught off the pier by 2 little kids and of course kept and it wasnt even legal

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:22 pm

Then the peir parking lot is a good place for a KTD sign! LOL.

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:17 pm

Mac is open right now! There are still a couple days before the season closes [smilie=brows.gif]

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:52 pm

Is the launch open at Macatawa? I could do saturday and Sunday both. I cant believe the launch is open yet but it might be. Michelle and I have caught two Muskies in one day On Macatawa and we did it on purpose. Both were caught on the lower end. Both trolling. Kingfisher
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:02 pm

Anyone have any reports on Sanford or Wixom? Slight chance of a 40 pounder on either of those lakes. What say you Dan? Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

gmochty

Post by gmochty » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:29 pm

Hello Mike
Well I'm not mushyDan (I had to throw that in Dan :grin: ), but there is no doubt that their is 40lbers in Sanford and wixom Mike. I have caught at least a handful of high 30lbers in Sanford alone and I'm not that good at this. I have heard of a few stories of some Super BIG fish but I just couldn't verify (I'm sure some stories hold water).

I have seen a few BIIG Fish my self, but its hard to say just how big they were, maybe 54 to 56 inches MAYBE!
I don't doubt that a 40lber is in Sanford at all. Their was a 40lber caught through the ice about 8 years ago in front of the condos.

Just messing with ya Dan.
Just my [smilie=2c.gif]
Greg
Recession is when a neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours.
Ronald Reagan

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:42 pm

yea from reading master angler readings some people were catching them on hot n tots trolling in mac too, i dont think i could ever stand trolling for them since my dads runs his charter boat out of macatawa out on lake michigan and i cant stand fishing like that.

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:36 pm

So is Sanford open right now or still iced over? Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:29 am

I am not sure that Sanford wouldn't have shelf ice that would stop you from launching. I would bet big dollars that it is a muddy mess though!! [smilie=2c.gif]
MuskyDan

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:53 am

The only lauch that I don't know for sure as being open is the DNR launch in Big Bay, but I would assume it is open as well. I do know 3 other launches that have NO ice. With all the recent rain, I'm pretty sure it would be dark stain all the way through the channel.

I think there are more muskies in Macatawa than people think (at very least a somewhat fishable population), but with the abundance of forage they aren't hungry that often. I live 5 minutes away but have only fished it for muskies a few times, mainly because I don't like the water quality. I like to cast, and see follows. Mac is so dirty you usually can't see more than a foot in the water so it kind of turns me off. I would like to spend more out there near the channel when the whitefish come in... I'm sure the supertankers aren't too far behind.

Scott

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:07 am

yea at the yacht basin where my dad keeps his boat, i fish off the docks there and catch a slop bucket of different fish, and its only like 3 feet and you cant see anything 6 inches under the water. I agree with the stained water, hate not being able to see whats going on even when im bass fishing in there. Lot of big walleye in mac at times though, caught several 8 lbers out of there.

Steve Horton

Post by Steve Horton » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:15 am

You guys shouldn't let low visibility bother you some much. Use firetigers or chrome/prism baits with lots of noise and have faith. I love dirty water.
The fish commit more easily. Its the really clear stuff that is a challenge. You see more fish, but hook a lot less.

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:48 am

I have to admit that Macatawa dirty is a little different that other dirty water. Its more like a sewer. Note the guys said you can catch fish in it, thats not the problem. Its just no fun and I have to agree with them!!