Can anyone tell me what lure this is?

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:09 pm

I've already experienced the willingness of this group to welcome me as an outsider and a newbie:

I've had multiple offers of sharing a boat;

Mike and Michele King offered me advice anytime I needed it, and fish-finder at a ridiculously low price, and invited me to their shop;

Will Schultz and Fred Becchetti have been very friendly in MANY ways;

I was gifted a muskie video and a Rapala SSR by John Castle, whom I'd never met until the lure swap up in Midland. And that group was very welcoming, too;

and more that I can't remember, now. A great bunch of people! Thanks you all.
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

queenfisher

Post by queenfisher » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:31 am

Hemi, I'll take you fishing and show you how to use a bait-caster and I won't laugh at you. Mike laughed at me the first time I used one, I only had spinning reels when we first met. That quickly changed!!!! I'm a "righty" and fish a right-handed bait caster. The switch was very easy and I'm very un-coordinated. Queenfisher
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:40 am

Will Schultz wrote:
Chasin50 wrote: The "Right" way is what works for you, but my way is more efficient... [smilie=biggrin.gif]
When I was younger and stupid (OK dumber... I'm still stupid) I agreed with that... kinda. I even argued with some guy named Lefty that because I was more comfortable reeling with my left hand on my fly reel that I could indeed reel faster with that hand... despite what he had said in print for years. I'll keep the story short and just say that I lost $1 after timing how fast I could reel in 50' of line first left hand then right. Those old fly guys know stuff...

So... the moral of the story is that a right hand person should crank with their right and cast with their left hand when using a baitcaster.

AND... I've broken or bent enough reel handles that I can assure you that your cranking hand is very important when you set the hook.

Left hand on a spinning reel makes sense because with the way the rod is held you want your dominant hand on the rod. Speed with the reel handle isn't important.
So Will is Stupid, I am Dumb, and Hemi is Stuburn... At least we all belong to the same special needs club... The most imposrtant thing Hemi is not what or how, but rather the fact that you are out there and hopefully having fun... with a spinning reel... [smilie=gayteehee.gif]

From a guy who has WAY too many lures, keep the lure arsenal on the light side and just get a dozen baits that allow you to present in a manner that the situation calls for. Spend you money on the rods/reels and sonar. [smilie=2c.gif]

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:12 am

From a guy who has WAY too many lures, keep the lure arsenal on the light side and just get a dozen baits that allow you to present in a manner that the situation calls for. Spend you money on the rods/reels and sonar. [smilie=2c.gif]
That's good advice, and I wish it were easier to follow! It's much easier to justify spending $15-$30 on a lure now and then that it is $100-$400+ on reels, rods and sonar/GPS.

As of right now, I have ~20 baits:

3-4 spinnerbaits
7 in-line spinners/bucktails, including two "doubles"
3 Suicks
Talonz Slasher, 10"
Super Shad Rap, 6"
The Dunwright Dancer
8" Swimmin' Joe
regular Bulldawg
10" Believer
Baby Weagle

That's a fair assortment for now, and so from now on I'll endeavor to save for a baitcasting outfit. If I need one, that is! [smilie=2thumbsup.gif]

(I sometimes think the phrase "Doubting Thomas" was coined for me... :mrgreen: )
Hemi, I'll take you fishing and show you how to use a bait-caster and I won't laugh at you. Mike laughed at me the first time I used one, I only had spinning reels when we first met. That quickly changed!!!! I'm a "righty" and fish a right-handed bait caster. The switch was very easy and I'm very un-coordinated. Queenfisher
Thanks, Michelle; I may take you up on that, especially if the Steelies are running soon up there in Muskie-Gon! :grin:
Don't drink and derive.

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:32 am

hemichemi wrote:
As of right now, I have ~20 baits:

3-4 spinnerbaits
7 in-line spinners/bucktails, including two "doubles"
3 Suicks
Talonz Slasher, 10"
Super Shad Rap, 6"
The Dunwright Dancer
8" Swimmin' Joe
regular Bulldawg
10" Believer
Baby Weagle
With what you have, you pretty well have it covered...

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:46 am

Yeah, that's what I guessed, too; but I still have to get a pair of Knipex cutters to complete my release toolset, so there's another ~$55 gone...
Don't drink and derive.

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:51 pm

Kevin,
I like your last post.I was that kid for a day at the King ranch a few years ago.
Hemi,and anyone else in the same situation,
No doubt this is a costly hobby.Gas for your boat and Hemi dont help matters.Rods and reels,heck Im no expert.I switched to casting stuff and Ill never look back,other than a couple bobber set ups.
Many good points have been mentioned.The 2 that really stand out to me are from my pal Chad.
Accuracy of a casting reel (with your thumb),and more importantly dont get into buying every lure you see.Its a damb sickness.Even when Im broke Im trying to buy or bid on more lures that probably wont catch me a fish.Stay with the proven winners.Less is more,quality vs quanity,good vs evil,stage1 vs 426 hemi, whatever you want to call it,..its sound advice.

Scrappy

Post by Scrappy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:56 pm

I seriously can not even fathom using a spinning rod for muskies other than to throw jigs. When I first moved to the Midwest I used spinning rods like I used for saltwater, worked fine for a while but the more bass ansd pike fishing I did with my buddies the more I realized that they were more acurate on the cast and worked less then I did using spinning gear and that wasn't even throwing the big stuff. I avoided learing to use a baitcaster because I was intimidated, that was a mistake. I should have learned to throw a baitcaster sooner then I did and you should too Hemi, you will not be sorry.

queenfisher

Post by queenfisher » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:38 pm

The Steelies are in and I have access to fresh spawn!!!!!!!! We will be on the river for breakfast and fishing next saturday and you are welcome to join us. My brother "the great and fabulous keeper of the spawn" has been keeping an eye on our honey hole and picked up a good one on Friday. FISH ON!!!!!! Queenfisher
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

edalz

Post by edalz » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:42 pm

I use almost all left hand retrieve bait casters but grew up trout fishing on the east coast and it was hard to change. For me the transition was hard because no one showed me how to do it and I learned the hard way. I have listed some general rules that I learned and some good websites to get started but you can't beat fishing with someone who can really educate you and you have alot of offers to help.

I would also learn to use a right hand retrieve if you are going to do it. I am stuck with left hand retrieve and recently have been looking for a low ratio reel to throw Supermodel DCG's and I have very little to choose from vs what the right hand retrieve guys have.

Basic rules:
-Always have at least a minimum 10lb mono equivalent line or higher on the reel.
-Be aware of the wind and what it is doing to your bait.
-Be conservative with how far you think you need to cast and use the tension knob. I get a backlash when I try to "push" the limits. For muskies you really don't want a huge cast becuase your hooksets could become a real issue at a really long distance.
-Buy a quality reel and you get what you pay for and make sure you can return it if you don't like it.

This stuff helps me with backlashes:
http://www.lineandlure.com/moreinfo.php

Good websites:
http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/elton66.htm
http://www.fishing-tackle-repair.com/ed ... p-101.html
http://setthehook.com/reels/reeldifferences.htm
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Chuck S.

Post by Chuck S. » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:30 pm

Hemi,

I threw that Dunright Dancer jerkbait for hours on Vermilion 2 years ago and found it to be an effective lure, (no muskie but several BIG pike) but you'll know you are working a lure, believe me. I don't recall the weight but it is very hefty. You'll love it when you stop casting it. When worked fast it has very good side to side life like action. Believe me...........you don't want to attempt working this lure with a spinning outfit. I can't even imagine trying it.
Chuck

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:42 pm

I just had a brilliant idea! You know those pneumatic launchers they use to throw t-shirts and hotdogs at football games?

Don't drink and derive.

Chuck S.

Post by Chuck S. » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:44 pm

Tom,

Very good! But how are you going to get the lure back with or w/o a fish on? Am I missing something here?
Chuck

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:49 pm

Chuck S. wrote:Tom,

Very good! But how are you going to get the lure back with or w/o a fish on? Am I missing something here?
I got it covered:
Don't drink and derive.

fishingwidow

Post by fishingwidow » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:24 am

There's hope yet

http://www.lakestclair.net/forums/index ... t&p=661571

Glad to hear you got a baitcaster though, you will like it.