Muskegon and Mona Lakes

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

spnplugger

Muskegon and Mona Lakes

Post by spnplugger » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:12 am

Has anyone heard reports on how muskies are doing in these two lakes? Thanks

vano397

Re: Muskegon and Mona Lakes

Post by vano397 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:56 am

I haven't had any luck on Muskegon, but haven't given much effort yet. The couple times I have been there the bait has been absolutely scattered, which makes for a difficult time maintaining confidence. Hopefully a couple people on here that fish it more often can chime in?!? Incidental catches on Muskegon have been numerous this year from both walleye guys and bass guys that I talk to... but we all know how accurate fish stories can be. Also the lower river has been holding a couple fish.

I still have not met anyone that has specifically admitted to or offered any intuition into fishing Mona lake. So, I can't offer any help with that one.
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

spnplugger

Post by spnplugger » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:55 am

Thanks for replying. With the food base on Muskegon Lake, some of those muskies should be decent sized by now

vano397

Post by vano397 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:51 am

Growth potential is certainly theu the roof!
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:18 pm

There are fishable numbers in both lakes albeit in pretty low numbers. Lots of food of various species, fish are growing fast.

robhj

Post by robhj » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:29 am

I spoke with a property owner on Mona a few weeks ago. He mentioned to me that a walleye angler caught a muskie near his house recently. When I asked how big it was he said 51 inches. Also that it was a Great Lake Spotted Muskie and the angler had shown him pics from his phone. Although it’s easy to question the actual size, he did seem like he knew what he was talking about because he knew the Muskie strain. I fish Mona a lot for bass and have yet to see a fish. This is the first I’ve heard of someone catching a Muskie in Mona. There has been higher stockings per acre in both Muskegon & White Lakes, but Mona is closer to my house so I will be planning on targeting muskies soon. I fished White this past weekend for bass and since they are not selling daily launch passes and only annual passes for $40, I will definitely be hitting White Lake as well to at least utilize the annual launch pass that I had to buy.
Rob Hulverson

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:52 pm

I've seen a pic of a muskegon fish that was claimed to be 48 and looked like it.

Not sure fish in mona could be 51 inches yet. I know some bass guys that claim they always got musky in there before we even stocked by the dnr back in 2013 or whenever it was. Never got real proof from them though

robhj

Post by robhj » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:02 am

I agree, that would be some unbelievable growth from the stocked fish. I suppose it could be a natural GLS or a Green Bay fish decided to swim East and take up residence in Mona. I have seen several pics from Muskegon & Spring Lake/Grand River and the fish all looked healthy and well-fed.
Rob Hulverson

MattG_braith

Post by MattG_braith » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:20 pm

I'm a little jealous of you SW MI guys that will get to fish these up and coming waters. Its only going to get better from here, with great size and numbers potential for many years to come.

I keep holding out hope that the DNR will give a little stocking love to the Northern "restoration" waters like Platte or Charlevoix some day, but I'm not holding my breath...it wouldn't make sense for them to stock some in places where they would reproduce well (sarcasm font)
Matt