MDNR Seeking Public Opinion on Proposed Muskie Reg Changes

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:13 pm

MattG_braith wrote:Also, question 7: How important are these factors in determining the quality of your muskellunge fishing experience in Michigan? (Please select your answer and complete all 8 categories.) option 6: The number of muskellunge kept.

This question seems very misleading. I could read this 2 different ways: First, the number of muskellunge kept is a very important factor in the quality of muskie fishing experience in Michigan since it directly affects the muskie populations. The more fish kept the more it hurts the muskie fishing experience in Michigan.

You could also read this on a more personal level and think that it means that the number of muskie I am allowed to keep factors into how good or bad my experience fishing for muskie is. As in "I want to be able to keep more fish". I did not know how to answer this question properly.
The key is "the quality of your muskellunge fishing experience in Michigan" That question is asking if it is important to you that you can keep muskellunge.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Will, I take it you will be at this meeting and representing us. I have all the cofidence in the world in you. [smilie=applause.gif]

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:35 pm

Steve S wrote:Will, I take it you will be at this meeting and representing us. I have all the cofidence in the world in you. [smilie=applause.gif]
Thanks but you need to be there. I'm on the committee that came up with all of this so my opinion is not really considered "public input".

These meetings are for you and this is your turn to provide the feedback and represent the muskie angler.
Last edited by Will Schultz on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

MattG_braith

Post by MattG_braith » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks for the clarrification Will. That is how I responded to it but I was a little apprehensive about my response after the fact.
Matt

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Duke wrote:wow - ZERO days notice for the Lansing meeting!!! That was not so smooth. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they had a low turnout last night... I would hope they can reschedule another in the area
I got an email on 3/20 from a DNR list I'd just subscribed to which announced it. I forgot to post it here, though. :oops:

But still, only 1 week notice.
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:28 pm

Glad to see I wasn't the only one a little confused by question number 7. I knew what they meant by it but it was a little misleading. I filled out my survey and sent the links to every fishing buddy I have that has ever fished muskies asking for help.
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Done
"I once heard of a guy that caught a 70" muskie weighing 80 lbs...."

vano397

Post by vano397 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:04 am

I was more wondering about how leading the last part in question 7 was... Did the MDHA have anything to do with that?!?! I haven't heard anything about banning suckers (even single hook rigs) or trolling like they have in Wisconsin, so the last method is forks...
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:00 am

Did anyone make it to the Portage meeting? I heard someone report there were only 6 people there!

RadDawg

Post by RadDawg » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:18 am

There were 7 adults and my two kids that attended. After the meeting and we were on the way home my son said he wants to work for the DNR when he gets old enough to. That was cool to hear.

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:31 am

[quote="RadDawg"]There were 7 adults and my two kids that attended. quote]

How did it go? Were any of the 7 adults in favor of spearing?
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

kmur

Post by kmur » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:18 pm

The three guys that were not MMA members were trout fishermen and seemed to have no problem with more restrictive muskie regulations. [smilie=2thumbsup.gif]

mskyprey

Post by mskyprey » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:46 am

I made it to the Portage meeting

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:12 am

I attended the Newberry show last night, with very positive reviews. About 20 people showed up, most for brook trout but a lot of good pike discussion ensued as well. Muskies roused only a little interest, which was somewhat surprising. But the locals there are very well versed in muskies, so I think that is the explanation. The all-species fisheries are quite healthy in the area, muskies are a big part of it, and so they generally all "get it" pretty well. None were opposed to stricter muskie regulations. Great group of anglers!

It was a hard choice b/w Newberry and Cheboygan last night- I hate that they were concurrent. But, the pizza made the choice easy in the end.

It was a great time, but I think I might have been better served in Cheboygan, looking back. I will be getting in touch with the biologist there to see how things went, and to bend his ear a bit!

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:46 am

Grayling meeting report:

A small but interesting collection of anglers showed up. 6 attendees total- 3 who only had brook trout interest, 2 were hook&line muskie/pike in favor of regulation changes, and 1 muskie/pike guy who only spears and was opposed to any regulation changes.

The DNR staff really pushed the online survey as the only way they wanted to receive comments. They seemed to want to avoid any sort of discussion on the spot, probably because 1 guy already thought he knew everything, and wasn't listening to anyone much anyway.