Campau/Kettle Lake Minimum Keep Size

Topics concerning muskellunge and fisheries research, diseases, stocking and management.
MuskyMatty22

Campau/Kettle Lake Minimum Keep Size

Post by MuskyMatty22 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:32 pm

Hello All,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. But I am curious if raising the minimum keep size has already been attempted at Campau and if not what the process for pushing for it to be done would be. If there is a reason to not raise the limit I'm curious what it would be, but I would love to see the minimum size raised.

Thank you
Matthew Butzen
Matthew Butzen

Will Schultz

Re: Campau/Kettle Lake Minimum Keep Size

Post by Will Schultz » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:54 pm

There is no biological reason to increase the MSL on Campau lake.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

vano397

Re: Campau/Kettle Lake Minimum Keep Size

Post by vano397 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:29 am

As much as I would like to see the size limit raised on ALL lakes, I think the lakes that really need the increase are our few natural lakes, that can not be stocked. Campau, Murray, etc. are stocked ponds, with the only limit of replenishment being the number of fish the hatchery can produce. Increasing the size limit, might in the long run, ease the burden of maintaining these populations with the hatchery, but would kind of selfishly limit the opportunity of the average angler. We already have vast protections on winter harvest on almost all of these lakes, which is really a majority of statewide harvest, where allowed. However the lakes where we can not stock because genetic inconsistencies and other factors, and that have struggling and far underachieving populations, it is ludicrous that they have not changed the MSL on those lakes!
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”