Banquet Thank-You

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Steve S

Banquet Thank-You

Post by Steve S » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:06 am

A big Thank-you to Jim, Will, Scott, Trevor and all the others. I would say it was very successful to say the least. Looks like it raised a lot of money for minnows and other things. I think the DNR speaker was the best ever. It was really good to see everyone. I know I'm greedy on this but when he said a chance of stocking GLS in Hudson, I could of got up and danced and that wouldn't have been pretty!! :oops:

jasonvkop

Re: Banquet Thank-You

Post by jasonvkop » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:27 pm

A big thanks to everyone involved! I really enjoyed the speaker as well; he presented a lot of good information, but also kept it simple for us laymens. What was the remarkable stat he gave at the end of the presentation? A 2% increase in harvest is equivalent to a 30% decrease in reproduction output? One would think a stat as dramatic as that would be the cornerstone to increasing the size limit on the Antrim Chain. I think a higher size limit is the way to go as it affects hook/line anglers and spearers alike.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:16 pm

jasonvkop wrote:. What was the remarkable stat he gave at the end of the presentation? A 2% increase in harvest is equivalent to a 30% decrease in reproduction output? .
2% increase in annual mortality would lead to a 70% decrease in reproduction output.

Fishead

Post by Fishead » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:02 pm

Thanks to all who put in the time and effort into the banquet, as well as all who donated time and product. Great event!!

vano397

Post by vano397 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:53 pm

Mayhem wrote:
jasonvkop wrote:. What was the remarkable stat he gave at the end of the presentation? A 2% increase in harvest is equivalent to a 30% decrease in reproduction output? .
2% increase in annual mortality would lead to a 70% decrease in reproduction output.
Ya, would be good enough to show 30%! But 233% more than that is a staggering number. I almost have him a standing ovation when he said that [smilie=jamminz.gif]
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:07 pm

I wish I would have asked him a follow up question when I asked him about artificial habitat. What do they do the best on, like cabbage, if so if the lakes that they are put in don't have the best habitat, should this be put into this lake.

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:47 pm

Steve S wrote:I wish I would have asked him a follow up question when I asked him about artificial habitat. What do they do the best on, like cabbage, if so if the lakes that they are put in don't have the best habitat, should this be put into this lake.
I believe they reproduce best in current/river situations. I believe pike eggs stick to weeds or other objects in the water whereas muskie eggs do not. Because of this, muskie eggs fall to the bottom and will be suffocated by sediment if there isn't current or flowing water.

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:51 pm

Mayhem wrote:
That's insane! I'm obviously biased, but that seems like a no brainer to have stricter regulations on waters like the Chain and Black/Burt/Mullet.

Revinchev

Post by Revinchev » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:14 am

Had a great time again this year. Thank you all for your hard work.
Nick

MattG_braith

Post by MattG_braith » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:06 pm

Great time once again. Thanks to all involved in putting this thing on. Hopefully we made a good amount of money to put towards all of the great things MMA supports.

Also, the speaker was one of my favorites in all the banquets I've been to. A lot of real interesting data. I wish he could have talked for hours on that stuff. Can't wait to read more about it all once the final reports are published.
Matt

pikerule2

Post by pikerule2 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:47 pm

Thanks to all who made that happen and agreed, the presentation seemed to have all of us listening more closely than ever, some real eye-opening info.

I wish I didn't have to leave early. A custom Medusa in in particular, the one in mostly black with a gold middle section, was screaming at me to steal her and remit a donation later with my written confession.

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:13 am

Huge THANKS to all of the banquet team! Outstanding effort and a great time.

And whoever was responsible for the bread being on the buffet table this time, where you could go back again and again and eat as much as you want, I'd like to personally congratulate them especially on a job well done!!!

MattG_braith

Post by MattG_braith » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:32 am

Duke wrote:And whoever was responsible for the bread being on the buffet table this time, where you could go back again and again and eat as much as you want, I'd like to personally congratulate them especially on a job well done!!!
I second that. The seasoning on that bread is amazing.
Matt

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:27 pm

This is why MMA is different! Most fishing club banquets need to feature a "name" that talks about where/when/how to catch fish, to make everyone happy. MMA members are happiest with a biologist talking about a genetic study... I love it.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

vano397

Post by vano397 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:28 pm

Will Schultz wrote:This is why MMA is different! Most fishing club banquets need to feature a "name" that talks about where/when/how to catch fish, to make everyone happy. MMA members are happiest with a biologist talking about a genetic study... I love it.
Haha, and bread!
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”