New sonar/gps suggestions

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

MuskyHunter1

New sonar/gps suggestions

Post by MuskyHunter1 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:27 pm

I am in the market to get a new sonar/gps unit. Wanted to see what others use. I'm looking at a unit that cabelas has on sale, it's a lowrance elite 7 hdi that comes with a lake master chip, but I am also looking at a humminbird helix 7 series unit. I'm not sure if I should get down imaging, side imaging or whatever. What do you guys like? And what are the positives or negatives about down imaging and/or side imaging? Thanks in advance.
Keegan

Will Schultz

Re: New sonar/gps suggestions

Post by Will Schultz » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:48 pm

Those new Helix are really nice.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:58 pm

Side imaging is especially good for open water fishing when looking for suspended baitfish and muskies. It can also be really good for mapping structure/cover without actually driving back and forth over the structure/cover. You can simply drive alongside the structure/cover, map it with the side-imaging, and then freeze the screen to mark GPS spots correlating to the side-imaging.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

vano397

Post by vano397 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:23 pm

I'll plug the H-bird products too. I like their menu layouts and whatnot a lot better and I think they offer a bit more bang for your buck. If you have a compatible trolling motor, or if you are planning on having multiple graphs, the models that have ethernet capabilities can make for some pretty cool options.
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

MuskyHunter1

Post by MuskyHunter1 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:44 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I've been leaning towards a humminbird because of some of the reviews I've read on the brand as a whole. Sounds like they've got it together. Plus, if I ever decide to upgrade to a minn Kota with ipilot link, I would already have a compatible humminbird.
Keegan

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:41 am

Might want to do some shopping today on Cyber Monday. I saw some on Cabela's around 300-400 off.

MuskyHunter1

Post by MuskyHunter1 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:01 pm

double post.
Last edited by MuskyHunter1 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keegan

MuskyHunter1

Post by MuskyHunter1 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:02 pm

jasonvkop wrote:Might want to do some shopping today on Cyber Monday. I saw some on Cabela's around 300-400 off.
I've been keeping my eye out for deals this week and found the humminbird 899cxi HD SI at cabelas online today for $599.99 making it $100 cheaper that the helix 7 si. Anybody have any experience with these units? From what I've read they have a few more features than the helix 7 units, including networking capabilities if I ever wanted to do that. Looks like a really good deal at $400 off.
Keegan

vano397

Post by vano397 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:47 pm

I've been using the 999 for a few years now and I really like it. Its pretty much the same thing, only difference is the screen. That is a great price for that unit. It really has almost all of the capabilities anyone would need, the extra sd card slot, ethernet, link, and a few other things. Able to hook to 3D sonar and I-pilot link. It is upgradeable for software too, which is always good. I learned this year that if you upgrade one, you have to upgrade everything tho! Trolling motor and all [smilie=bangtard.gif]
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

alumacraft07

Post by alumacraft07 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:52 pm

Take a look at the garmins in January any chartplotter will have the ability to auto map! Which I think very important. I wouldn't rule out a iPad with the sonar phone set up with navionics. Another great option with auto charting.

Tory

Post by Tory » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:13 pm

I will say this, Lowrance tends to lead with technology....I just don't see reliability with them and their customer service sucks. Several friends have had issues with their sounders/gps and are all starting to go the route of H-birds....mainly due to longevity. Too big of an investment to have fail. I have the same comments on Minnkota.....I cant tell you how many foot pedals my group of friends have went through, but Minnkota tends to have the better technology/performance out of the box. I still need to pop on a new trolling motor and replace both graphs. I will take the plunge to humminbird...not sure on the trolling motor.

TB

vano397

Post by vano397 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:14 pm

The original power drive pedals were super simple, but horribly unreliable... I think someone here may have had like 6 of them in a rotation... The new power drive is pretty good (haven't heard the problems yet, not that they aren't there), and the terrrova seems a lot better, but is about 4 times the size it needs to be. I am getting to the point I use the remote on mine more than not, and have accurately mapped out enough spots I am about to start just setting the I-pilot link and letting it go... then I just adjust the speed, start and stop if I need but I am always where I want to be... I am sure I could figure it out and not need the extra technology, but I don't get to fish 1000 hours a year... I get about 100 (if I am lucky) spread out all over the place, so I'll take any bit of help I can get!

Skog

Post by Skog » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:11 am

I just picked up a humminbird 899 ci. Seems like a great unit but this is my first real fish finder. Anybody have any pointers on setup and using it?

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:26 am

Skog wrote:I just picked up a humminbird 899 ci. Seems like a great unit but this is my first real fish finder. Anybody have any pointers on setup and using it?
Take it out in early spring and just tinker with it on the water. It may be tough to be on the water and not fishing, but just take an afternoon and work with the unit. Mess with the SI, the sensitivity, the GPS, etc. You can probably find a lot of videos online which will show you numerous tips and tricks as well.