Smart musky messing with my head!

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Pharmtoxzy

Post by Pharmtoxzy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:07 pm

Revinchev - Yeah I was thinking about that. I've heard other people say that's a better way to learn about these complex fish and how to catch them, especially how to do it the right way. I think I'll go on a few more fishing trips (you know the whole, you can do it, persistence and hard work is the only way you get things in life) and then if I don't have success I will definitely book a trip.

Scott - I might join soon, I have to slow the dollars flying out my pocket for a second but after that I'll join. Thanks for the tip, I definitely don't want to harm such an amazing and rare fish.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:37 pm

I like your fire man! You definitely need to join chapter 47, get access to the members forum on here and just start reading! Good luck on your quest to catch a muskie, it will happen sooner or later, then you will be REALLY hooked and be obsessed with catching more and bigger muskies.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:40 pm

Pharmtoxzy wrote:Hey Will,

Thanks for the heads up, now I think I understand whats going on. I might need to upsize things, bigger than what I've been throwing. I started out with bulldawgs and cowgirls, I tried them all summer last year and started to think I was going too big so I downsized. What do you think of the Blue Fox super Bou Twin, 8 or 10"?

Any color suggestions for murky water? I heard Black is the best but I see lots of debate about this.
Can't offer any opinion on the vibrax, I don't have any. It looks like a decent bait though. One thing to watch out for on bucktails is hair or marabou tied directly to the hooks, avoid them because you can't replace hooks when you have to cut them and the tied portion impedes hooking.

As far as colors, jerkbaits and crankbaits that are (or a combination of) gold , orange , brown and green always seem to be good in water that is stained to dirty. This is basically a match the hatch deal because in these waters suckers, perch and carp are usually primary forage. For bucktails the above holds true with the addition of black, ex. Orange blade over black or chartreuse blade over black.
Pharmtoxzy wrote:Will - I just ordered the Grandma in hitec gold and the Dadson 9mm in Purple Haze. I'll let you know if anything happens on my next few trips out. I have about 3 trips out in the next 3 weeks. One of them out on Thronapple, I haven't caught anything there but I did have that strike in which the top of the fishes tail came out that murky water and got me all excited! That gave me the confidence that it is possible there so I decided to plan another trip back.

Scott - I'm using the new calcutta 300D. It doesn't have the fastest gear ratio but with a little bit of work I think I can get them moving decently fast. I feel like I know the next suggestion " get a reel that can burn'em"

This might be sacrilegious to ask but does anyone have any good lake suggestions for Michigan beside lake St Clair & Thornapple?

Any suggestions on how to use those Grandma lures would be welcomed!
For lakes there a few listed here: http://www.michiganmuskie.com/waters-fished.html

For a longer list check out the DNR stocking information on their website. Select muskellunge as the species (I'm sure I didn't need to type that) and set the start date at 1995 and the end date at 2009. This will give you a long list of lakes with adult muskies.

IMO the grandma is best fished with a hard rip of 2-3'. Vary the pause from the time it takes to quickly reel up the slack to 3-4 seconds or longer. It's hard to communicate what "hard rip" really means but think violent and if your wrist isn't feeling it after an hour you're not doint it right. You can control the depth with your rod angle, ripping up over your shoulder will give it more lateral movement and keep it shallow. A low rod angle produces less lateral movement and more depth.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Pharmtoxzy

Post by Pharmtoxzy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:16 am

then you will be REALLY hooked and be obsessed with catching more and bigger muskies.
Mayhem - Thanks, I hope I catch one soon as well but I worry about me being REALLY hooked. My girlfriend today was giving me crap for being so obsessed. She said, at this rate I'm not going to pay attention to her because she doesn't have Marabou and flash. Gave me a good laugh!

Will - I feel like I already owe you. You've been great taking the time to share your knowledge and I really appreciate it. I'm a graphic designer / web designer for Michigan State University so if you ever need help in any of those areas don't hesitate to drop me a message. I end up changing the "Purple Haze" to a chartreuse blade color with green flash, seemed like a better fit after reading some of your suggestions. I think I understand the "hard rip" tech. I saw a few guys doing similar on YouTube. Thanks again!

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:34 am

Not a problem and I just dropped you an email about website work.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:26 pm

Being new to muskie fishing you may find the subwalk hard to use unless you are using a light leader, and light rod.. That lure does not do well with heavier rod's or heavier leaders..

Works pretty well on my spring rod and light wire.

Also Blue fox super bou's are ok, but blue fox also builds their a little heavier than some smaller 8's that you can really scream.

There are a lot of deer hair bucktails that are super light out there that you can really scream as well. Doesn't always have to be tinsel either