Conversation & Coffee with DNR Fisheries, March-April

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Duke

Conversation & Coffee with DNR Fisheries, March-April

Post by Duke » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:33 am

Nothing muskie-specific headlining these events, but good opportunity to have your voice heard and get your questions answered. Valid concerns and questions should be voiced early, often, repeatedly!!

Conversations & Coffee with DNR Fisheries Division scheduled throughout state in March, April

Revinchev

Post by Revinchev » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:56 am

I will be attending Wednesday March 19 in cadillac. Like duke said, early, often, and repeatedly.

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:14 am

I'm definitely going to try to make it to the Kzoo meeting. Jay Wesley posted this on another site about the topics of discussion for the Kzoo meeting:

"Change northern pike and muskellunge possession season to the last Saturday in April to March 15th on Lake Brownwood, Bankson Lake, and Round Lake all in Van Buren County. "
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:08 am

Whoa - good catch Ryan. That Kzoo meeting just got a whole lot more important for anyone who thinks there may, or may not be an excess of legal size muskies in Bankson and Round.

kmur

Post by kmur » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:21 am

I will have to take the the blame or credit for that depending on your point of view. I have been pushing Jay to change the closing dates for Round and Bankson to be the same as the statewide dates. The term "possession season" is a little misleading in this case as they are currently under the same closing dates as Thorn and Hudson. Those dates were originally put in place because Round and Bankson were once considered backup broodstock lakes. I don't see any reason these lakes shouldn't remain open til ice up as they have spearing restrictions in place anyway.

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:13 pm

kmur wrote:I will have to take the the blame or credit for that depending on your point of view. I have been pushing Jay to change the closing dates for Round and Bankson to be the same as the statewide dates. The term "possession season" is a little misleading in this case as they are currently under the same closing dates as Thorn and Hudson. Those dates were originally put in place because Round and Bankson were once considered backup broodstock lakes. I don't see any reason these lakes shouldn't remain open til ice up as they have spearing restrictions in place anyway.
I agree.
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:29 pm

Yes, just confirmed that the seasons would change to match the statewide seasons but the spearing bans would remain in place. I don't see any concern with this now that the new regulations are in place.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Oops I totally blanked on the spearing bans for those lakes... sorry! The Austin experience has me quite twitchy. But in that case I'm all for the season change!

vano397

Post by vano397 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:29 am

Any specific info discussed, or a gameplan potentially in place last night. Or just another "it's on the radar" comments? Good to hear you made it and got a chance to get some floor time over the usual salmon issues nick. Also anyone else make it there?
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

Revinchev

Post by Revinchev » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:37 pm

vano397 wrote:Any specific info discussed, or a gameplan potentially in place last night. Or just another "it's on the radar" comments? Good to hear you made it and got a chance to get some floor time over the usual salmon issues nick. Also anyone else make it there?
I'm sorry JP I didn't even see your post. To answer your question, yes "it's on the radar". "Special regulations are being considered". It's good to keep reminding them that we care about the future of our sport. (Will calls it the squeeky wheel).They take notes at these public forums also so it's good to voice concerns. As far as anyone else being there I'm not sure. Tony and I were the only ones there for the muskie related topic that I know of.

Revinchev

Post by Revinchev » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:41 pm

Is anyone going to the one scheduled for Wednesday in Gaylord? I'm going to try and make it if work doesn't get in the way.

treeman

Post by treeman » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Revinchev wrote:Is anyone going to the one scheduled for Wednesday in Gaylord? I'm going to try and make it if work doesn't get in the way.
I plan on going to the Gaylord one.
***It's good for the soul but hard on the nerves.***

Revinchev

Post by Revinchev » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:35 am

treeman wrote:
I plan on going to the Gaylord one.
Sweet! Hope to see you there