3rd Tarpon trip to Everglades

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

detroithardcore

3rd Tarpon trip to Everglades

Post by detroithardcore » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:07 pm

Well I just got back from my 3rd trip to the Everglades chasing giant fall Tarpon with plugs. Again I fished with the only real guide who chases these fish very deep in Everglades. 3 trips and yet to see another boat while being surrounded by more adult Tarpon then you can dream of. Captian Jon Sebold with SFP Fishing Outfitters is so dialed in to the migration of these fish it's unreal. The mullet run was just ending in in salt and glades fishing was just getting started so we spent 1 day in the channels of the Saltwater just inside Marco Island and jumped a few, hooked 2 that spit bait and I landed my first 130# 6' blacktip. Lost 6 other 100#+ Blacktips. The next 2 days was in the glades and fishing was on fire. Tarpon everywhere destroying mullet or rolling even in the heavy winds. Hooked, fought and landed 155#er and 135#er casting Bomber Long A. Hooked a true beast at a conservative 185# and fought her for 7-10 minutes or so till she spit hooks boatside in a magnificent jump. Then just before my trip was going to end we made one more pass and hooked a 170#er that destroyed a Bomber Long A in one strike cracking it in half taking rear 4X treble hook and split ring. Amazing considering these baits are one of the most durable on the saltwater market. We jumped anther dozen or so and it became another amazing trip. In all honesty any avid angler/Muskie angler that likes to cast is absolutely crazy in the head not to get down there with Jon. It's comparable to fishing a shield type lake with the remote wilderness feature except your not fishing structure and they bays are loaded with Tarpon spread out all over. The deepest we fished was 4 feet so the fights were amazing acrobatics. This is the most under pressured fishery I've ever seen and the fish eat!! The wind was too much but it's also perfect for sight fishing or fly fishing laid up Tarpon which I'll be back doing in March. Best part about it is the trip is so cost effective and in many case much cheaper than going to AML or Sandy's or any remote fishing destination. I'm back down there in March and actually already committed to limiting my Muskie fishing and all fishing dollars going to several trips a year down there. Great thing is during the fall the average size Tarpon is around 140# and nowhere else in Florida are they getting that big of fish throughout the year consistently. Captain Jon Sebold has several 200#ers and several getting close to a state record in the Glades. We saw at least a dozen over the course of two days fishing that were reaching the 185-205# range. The strikes are all visual and the most violent "seek and destroy" type bite you could imagine. The strike so hard it it hard at times not to lose your balance. Cool thing is I got it all on the GoPro and hoping I find the time to edit it all. Do yourself a favor and find a way to get down there. The Muskie bug has left me and my focus is strictly on these trips. If anyone wants detailed specifics let me know. Muskie's what?? Na...it's all remote Tarpon for me...[/list]
Scott

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Sounds like a blast. See any big gators or snakes?

detroithardcore

Post by detroithardcore » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:19 am

Oh yeah....when I was fighting the 135#er, she pulled us around a bend and there sitting on the bank where there was an opening of mangroves was a 10 foot gator. Just chilling and enjoying the sun. I saw maybe 10-15 over two days in the Glades. Most were 7-8 foot or bigger. Didn't see any snakes but there's plenty of them and was hoping I get a chance to see a Florida Panther. Everywhere down there along the roads are signs that have warning for "panther crossing". The guy I fish with has seen a handful in 20 years fishing in the glades. When we took some shortcuts in these really narrow canals (no wake) areas we would see lots of small bullsharks, snook and the on some of trees on the bank would have massive spider webs that glistened with the few in the morning. First time I was down there I was so concerned about bugs or misquotes, horse fly's etc. but never once have had an issue with bugs. It really is an amazing place and different world. We saw several massive Eagles which was super cool. It's amazing how silent it really is all the way out there. When the wind is down its silent!!! Until a 160# Tarpon crushes a plug or mullet on the surface!!
Scott

vano397

Post by vano397 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 am

alright... I need to go. Can't wait for my wife's next sabbatical when we can actually go do something! Sounds like a riot, and I often have dreams that wake me up, setting the hook, hyperventilating, and sweating like a stuck pig after a tarpon just smashed a giant streamer. Its getting ever so close to the time to put that one to reality.
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

detroithardcore

Post by detroithardcore » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:41 pm

I swear....you will not be disappointed!! Go in March when you can Fly and Plug for them. Fly when it's calm in morning and wind is down. They'll be laid up everywhere. If wind picks up then cast plugs. Both ways...you win! Imagine landing a giant Tarpon on fly in the morning and then landing a few on plugs in the afternoon...all in the same day!! What more could an angler want???
Scott

kid coulson

Post by kid coulson » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:41 am

That is awesome bro! It sounds just like the stuff most of us just get to watch on TV. And I hear some of the food down there is superb.