New Muskie Fisherman Need Tips

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

MuskyHunter1

New Muskie Fisherman Need Tips

Post by MuskyHunter1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:08 pm

So this past summer I was out fishing with a buddy and saw a guy catch a muskie, so I made it a goal to catch a muskie my the end of the year. So i bought a brand new setup for muskie fishing and a few lures. I've fished Murray lake in lowell 3 times with no luck. I have 4 bull dawg baits ranging from 8in-12in in colors from cisco, white, and natural sucker, I also have 2 bucktails that are 6 to 8in that are blue/silver and rainbow/silver. If you have some tips or some lure recommendations that would be great! Thanks

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Well, let's start with your new set up. Throwing mag dawgs, sounds like you've got something to handle big fish. What line and leaders? And most importantly, do you have the necessary release tools?
Rick

MuskyHunter1

Post by MuskyHunter1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:59 pm

ricky sox wrangler wrote:Well, let's start with your new set up. Throwing mag dawgs, sounds like you've got something to handle big fish. What line and leaders? And most importantly, do you have the necessary release tools?
Reel spooled up with 65lb Power Pro and a 100lb leader, and I do have the tools for a safe catch and release.

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:44 pm

Just keep at it. Three times out without catching one isn't that long actually; that's just muskie fishing. What kind of rod and reel are you using? I would suggest upgrading to 80-100lb superline and then at least 124lb wire or 150lb fluoro. For dawgs and other plastics/jerkbaits I would use wire leaders, and for bucktails/topwater I would use fluoro leaders. Becoming an official member of this site really helps as you get access to fishing reports, a members section, and many other perks.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:07 am

It sounds like you have the right baits to start. Like Jason said, three trips on an inland lake without a musky is not actually that bad. I would definitely look at a stronger leader. I personally do not care for Fluorocarbon or Mono but it will work if you go heavy enough, at least 135lb, although 150 is better. Other than that just keep at it, it will happen eventually.
Last edited by Smada962 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

bails

Post by bails » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:58 am

Hey man keep at it, I've only caught 3 muskies this year and I have put in a lot of time and I have went through every year available in this website on reports in every lake that I have attempted. Most important thing I can say is... Put in the time and research on Muskie fishing from every available resource you can get your hands on. Also step out of your shoes and compare what you do vs the members on this site. One member made a statement about keeping a log book... I do this on my phone calendar and post every trip that I go out on... Water temp, clarity, time of year... Time of day.... The more the better that way when you hit paydirt and land a fish you know that it wasn't just luck, but that the all the conditions came together and you connected... I can tell you the date... Time.... Bait.... And area of the first Muskie that followed my bait. They are hard enough to catch, let alone without a game plan... Don't give up.. Like I said... I have caught 3 only this year, but nothing tops a Muskie strike. Let me know if you ever are on thornapple I'm by far one of the worst Muskie fisherman on this site but I am confident when I fish that lake mainly from the research I've put in on this website and from asking questions. There is no stupid question when it comes to Muskie fishing. It is unlike any other fishing I've done but nothing compares to putting in crazy time and being rewarded and nothing that other fisherman dream of a Muskie in their lines and this club will give you the knowledge to suceed... Keep asking questions and stick to your gameplan!
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

MuskyHunter1

Post by MuskyHunter1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:52 pm

jasonvkop wrote:What kind of rod and reel are you using?
I currently have an Abu Garcia C4 5600 reel but I think I'm gonna upgrade to a 6600 C4 or C3, and its on a cabelas musky rod that's 7'6'' H

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:36 pm

Might need a longer/stronger rod eventually.. minimum 8 ft rod or 9 ft to take the stress out of throwing big baits. Especially if you want to consistently catch fish out of murray

MuskyHunter1

Post by MuskyHunter1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:14 pm

swanezy wrote:Might need a longer/stronger rod eventually.. minimum 8 ft rod or 9 ft to take the stress out of throwing big baits. Especially if you want to consistently catch fish out of murray
That's what I was think the other day when I was out there fishing, it was fine throwing the reg bull dawgs and not too bad with the mag bull dawgs, but when I tried a mag double dog that was 10oz that was just too much.

FIP

Post by FIP » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:06 am

I know how you feel, has been a long tough year for me too. Finally had a follow last weekend but didn't hook up. Not sure if it did not like my lure or figure 8. Or maybe was scared off by my ride-along wife squealing and peeing her pants.
Tom Meyaard

MuskyHunter1

Post by MuskyHunter1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:41 am

Looking to buy a new rod for bull dawgs anyone have any recommendations?

vano397

Post by vano397 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:33 am

My favorite is the st croix big dawg. Its great for pretty much everything, a little heavy for small bucktails and glides and jerkbaits like suicks, but will do anything especially dawgs. My second choice on a budget would probably be the Okuma telescoping EVx rods, in either heavy of X-heavy, for pounders I would go with X-heavy for sure. I have fixed an aweful lot of the other brands.
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:27 am

MuskyHunter1 wrote:Looking to buy a new rod for bull dawgs anyone have any recommendations?
What size dawgs are you planning on throwing? I love the 'Big Dawg' rod from St. Croix for mag-dawgs and pounders, but it is a little pricey. The 9'3" Okuma EVX rod is a great rod for mag-dawgs and can be used for pounders.
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:56 am

jasonvkop wrote:
MuskyHunter1 wrote:Looking to buy a new rod for bull dawgs anyone have any recommendations?
. The 9'3" Okuma EVX rod is a great rod for mag-dawgs and can be used for pounders.
I have two of these. One of them is a H and it is great for small (regular) dawgs and the mag dawgs, but that's about as heavy as you would want to go with it. I also have a XH and it is great for Mag dawgs and good for pounders, but is a touch on the stiff side for the small dawgs although it will throw them fine. IF you have no desire to throw pounders than I would go with the H, if you want to throw pounders go with a XH. If you have the cash though I'd go with the Big Dawg, it's a sweet rod.
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

Brett Ladd

Post by Brett Ladd » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:16 pm

Check out the muskie innovations rods, made for rubber. Monster mag is good for mags and handles pounders well......Their Mark Lejewski 4x is the ultimate pounder rod for me. Comparable or slightly less maybe than St croix. That said.....St. Croix is my favorite brand and you can't ever lose with one of those!