New Muskie Fisherman Need Tips

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

MuskyHunter1

Post by MuskyHunter1 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:40 pm

I found a good deal on a Musky Innovations Bull Dawg Rod that's 8'6" XH with a lure rating from 4-16oz. That should handle mags no problem and pounders? I have a second rod thats rated from 1-4 that I throw regs, bucktails and crankbaits with.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:35 pm

It will throw Magnums fine, and you CAN throw pounders with them, but expect to be exhausted if u fish pounders for an extended period of time with it.

Randy O

Post by Randy O » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Another good rod for pounders is the 8'6" extra-heavy from Custom X. You can toss some serious weight with this one.

MuskyHunter1

Post by MuskyHunter1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:04 am

Does anyone have any tips on fishing murray lake? I've been fishing there a lot this past summer and a couple times this fall and haven't had any luck. Just looking for some tips, techniques, or lures to use there. Thanks

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:23 am

MuskyHunter1 wrote:Does anyone have any tips on fishing murray lake? I've been fishing there a lot this past summer and a couple times this fall and haven't had any luck. Just looking for some tips, techniques, or lures to use there. Thanks
The fish are still acting like summer fish out there still with the warm weather and warm water temps. They aren't moving shallow very often and are staying suspended over open water or in the deep weeds. Suspending crankbaits over open water and bulldawgs over/in the deep weeds has been moving some big fish in these areas. This should all change this week as the lake will start going through turnover and we'll see the fish acting more like fall fish with daily movements to shallower water.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

MuskyHunter1

Post by MuskyHunter1 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:09 am

thanks for the info Will, is there any type of lure and color that you would recommend for this weekend?

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:10 am

MuskyHunter1 wrote:thanks for the info Will, is there any type of lure and color that you would recommend for this weekend?
I could suggest a bunch from topwaters to jigs but conditions dictate what's going to work on a given day so suggesting anything specific would simply be a guess and not much help. As far as color goes they generally prefer natural colors, combinations of brown/gold, black/white or silver are good in most situations.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

MuskyHunter1

Post by MuskyHunter1 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:06 pm

So I fished Murray again this morning with no luck catching any but I did have one follow which was pretty exciting since I have yet to catch my first muskie. So heres my question, I've never fished Murray from mid afternoon till dark, I only fish mornings from about 7 until 2ish. Has anyone had any luck in the afternoon at Murray? I've fished there about 8 times now in the mornings and haven't had any luck.

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:23 pm

Mornings, afternoons, evenings, after dark. You can catch fish at all times. Best time to fish... whenever you can!