Destinations/vacations 2006

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

NSTAGATOR

Destinations/vacations 2006

Post by NSTAGATOR » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:37 pm

Anybody have any trips/fishing vacations lined up for this summer/fall or wish to go anywhere ??Or are you staying in Michigan and just trying some new water or the same waters as last year??

Dave

Bomba

Post by Bomba » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:46 pm

After 3 out of state trips last year, i'm staying home this year. I'll fish
some new Michigan water though :wink:
Don Bomba

"PASS IT ON"

NSTAGATOR

Post by NSTAGATOR » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:25 pm

Think that`s pretty much my deal too......besides Indy.Would love to go somewhere and need to go somewhere,haven`t been on a cottage vacation since 04',but need to save some cash,do some house work,and fish around Mi.Need to get to LSC a couple times also.Might rent a cottage in Indy??We`ll see.We HAVE TO get a group together for a Wi,Mn,or Canada trip for 07'.!!!! :cry:

DU

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:48 pm

If I keep getting invitations to Mille Lacs I might have to find a cheap plane ticket to Minneapolis... Other than that I'm in Michigan/St Clair all year. Why leave? From the UP to downtown Detroit, we have some of the best and most diverse muskie fishing in all of North America. I know, I sound like a "Say yes to Michigan" advertisement...
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Muskie Medic

Lake St-clair

Post by Muskie Medic » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:16 pm

Lake St-Clair & Detroit river this year is getting more of my attention and gas money... :roll: :shock:

NSTAGATOR

Post by NSTAGATOR » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:18 pm

I hear ya..but we have a ways to go before we have multiple choices for numbers of 50"muskie lakes close by besides LSC.Here in west Michigan we have a couple up and coming and a few lakes with biggies...but it`s still not Minnesota.I hear those guys time and time again on the MHM message board praise about minnesota,"Why go to wisconsin"they say,"when we have all these huge musky lakes",mille lacs,bemidji,plantaganet,leech,vermilion,detroit lakes,cass,etc...on and on.I can`t wait for the day when we have that many options besides LSC.And it will happen.Just give it another ten years.My luck I`ll get transferred to minnesota at that time and their fishery will be on the spiraling down mode..lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do think we will give wisconsin a run for their money in 8-10 years for musky fisheries.Still won`t be the great northwoods.....but besides the beautiful scenery........wisconsin is over rated.IMHO..

DU

kbkrause

Post by kbkrause » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:20 pm

LSC for me!
My in-laws are up in Midland so I'd like to do Sanford for muskies. I've fun fished it, but never really targeted it for Muskies.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.” -- ALDO LEOPOLD

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:39 pm

Nstagator... Minneapolis to the Minnesota lakes is 2.5 - 3 hours. Now, expand your search to within 2.5 - 3 hours of GR and your opportunities at BIG fish have increased dramtically. I know... the grass is always greener.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Slimeball

Post by Slimeball » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:13 pm

March 24-26 Cave Run
May 27-29 N.Michigan
August 19-26 Upper French River, Ontario
September 16-23 Upper French River, Ontario
November 4-6 N.Michigan

:D Jason.

thedude

Post by thedude » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:03 pm

Hey Will.......Mille Lacs is actually about and hour and 15 minutes from Thorne Bros in Minneapolis. Maybe that will presuade you a little bit. I was up there in November with Jonesi for the full moon and had a blast. We snagged ciscos up to 20 inches long with our pounders. No muskies caught, but just having a bait in the water gave you a shot at a 50 pounder!!! See you in Chi-twon

thedude
Release em all!

Larry Porter

Post by Larry Porter » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:22 pm

Don't have a thing planned at this point for out of the area. I think if I had my druthers, I'd take a 4-day MN trip to Mantrap, Elk in Itasca Park, Plantagenette, and Bemidji where I spent my formative years. The northerns were bigger than the newly-stocked muskies back then at the time I moved to Michigan. It would be fun to go back and see if the big-northern spots have become good muskie spots. I'll bet they have. But at this point it looks like I'll be staying home in SW MI this year.

finlander

say oui to Ontario

Post by finlander » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:31 pm

I did not say where it happened in '02 when Will asked for the GPS coordinates, but that fish that lifted our 16' Naden and grabbed the prop was just around the corner from Birch Island Lodge. Below Dreamer's Rock. Late August of 2005 year 2 fellows from Muskies Canada were fishing in the back of McGregor Bay. One hooked a fish that took all his line and broke his brand new Abu C3. I really want to talk to those fellows. I think Will has talked with the owners, the Baker's, in the past. This may help him across the border. :D

Kingfisher

Trips

Post by Kingfisher » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:24 pm

We have saved a lot of money by not diong much last year. 2006 is going to be a lot of traveling for Queenie and I. March,southern Illinois. April Leesville Ohio (two weekends) May, Local Michigan lakes. June thru early august All St. Claire. August 10 days in western Ontario and one weekend in the U.P. September local lakes with a second trip for 10 days to western Ontario. October and November local and St. Claire. December its off to Kentucky for a visit to Green river or Cave run. We will be busy. I love this obsession :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Kingfisher

finlander

trips

Post by finlander » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:33 am

Ooooo...I think he's got it bad...

LeMay

Post by LeMay » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:40 pm

Hay guys just got back from WV lotts of open water. Saw some good size fish swiming in the river but I could not tell if they where pike or muskie. Going back thusday thinking about takeing my pole and tossing a few lures from the bank.

LeMay OUT