Next year fall brawl

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Chris Mahan

Next year fall brawl

Post by Chris Mahan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:30 pm

There was some talk after the tournament sunday on how to grow this tournament .. how many mma members would fish next year if there was a $5000 first place pay out?
It would be teams of 2 at $250 a boat. Would you rather see a point system or big fish takes it??

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:39 pm

I think the PMTT does it right with their system of points and also big fish awards for each day, no need to reinvent the wheel. Fish need to be legal on the body of water making it 42 or 44 on LSC. I would even consider making it Michigan waters only...

$250/boat sounds about right for 2 man teams, that shouldn't put it out of reach for anyone.

Regardless of what you do though, you aren't going to attract the "soul fisherman", the best anglers I know fall into that category.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

edalz

Post by edalz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:01 pm

For $5,000 I would probably do it. I have no soul...the muskies have destroyed it.
"I wish ignorance was painful".

LonLB

Post by LonLB » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Based on what I have seen, a two person/team event makes it harder to increase attendance.

And the expense is too high for the guy (that has his first 3 fishing buddies not able to make it) who decides to fish by himself.

Being a 1 event 2 person team helps, but any time you need to get a commitment from someone for multiple events it cuts your choices down a BUNCH.

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:33 pm

That would make for an expensive weekend! Crap, I'm not made outta money. [smilie=pee.gif] on that! I do it for the fun...not the money.
Rick

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:44 pm

I would've done the previous one if there were a couple things different.
- One day tourney vs 2. A 2 day tourney is actually 3 days there away from home because of the meeting the night before.
- If there was a point system like Will mentioned. Minimum size of the fish would have to be the MSL for that body of water.

I think if you start getting into the huge pots, it cuts out a LOT of participants just because they can't afford it. One day out to LSC is about $125 in gas for me driving there and back + gas in the boat. Add in meals, lodging, plus the previous day for some pre-fishing and the meeting, and you're looking at $250 + tournament fees.

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:59 pm

For some reason, the name Roy Munson just popped in my head.....don't ask, that's all I'm going to say.
Rick

detroithardcore

Post by detroithardcore » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:25 am

At first I was excited about this tourney and was going to fish it. As time went on I just lost interest. I do prefer a point system like the PMTT but everytime something like this happens on my home water I just find myself pushing away from the tourney's. Maybe I'm spoiled by being able to fish weekdays? I sure do not like fishing weekends as its much more crowded. I always try and find new water and have done well this year capitalizing on new areas where you won't see a Muskie angler. I think the tourney is great for those who love to compete. Although with a payout of $2500 and a point system it would be worth a shot. That's a pretty good payday and $250/boat seems about right. My days on water have been limited this season so every chance I get to fish, I want to make the best of it and fish for myself and love
for sport. However, I bet it's super thrilling hooking a big girl in a tourney!

Oh and congrats again to Rick for placing in the tourney! He's again somehow found a way to boat a big one within tourney hours!! Great job!!!
Scott

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks Scott, I appreciate it. But let's not forget that it's a team effort. We took 1st and 3rd in June, thanks to Jon and Jay. The muskies were allergic to my baits on that weekend.
Rick