mapping chip

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

ricky sox wrangler

mapping chip

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:24 am

Anybody have a suggestion for which chip to get for a lowrance elite 5???
Rick

esoxfly

Post by esoxfly » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:22 am

Depends on the water you're fishing and what your unit will take. I use solely Navionics but they aren't always the best option for all bodies of water.

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:34 pm

esoxfly wrote:Depends on the water you're fishing and what your unit will take. I use solely Navionics but they aren't always the best option for all bodies of water.
Lsc and Mi. inland lakes only would be fine. I think Navionics has a chip just for that. Hotmaps premium-Michigan?
Rick

esoxfly

Post by esoxfly » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:14 pm

Lakemaster goes by state. Navionics goes by region...which you would want the North region.

vano397

Post by vano397 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:13 pm

It appears that the lakemaster for lowrance has been discontinued. I did like that one better for certain uses, but as far as LSC and the other HD lakes goes there isn't much difference. The random old maps that were not HD were quite different, and it is hit ormiss which chip is better. The nav platinum or whatever they call it for the north is probably your best choice left.
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:38 pm

There is a Navionics Hotmaps Premium Michigan-only chip for Humminbird and Lowrance (same SD card apparently readable by both). I just bought it last month at Cabela's for about $90. It's only just OK for Ovid and Thorn; not bad for Anchor Bay, but only has the US side of LSC. Haven't used it anywhere else yet.
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:43 pm

vano397 wrote:It appears that the lakemaster for lowrance has been discontinued. I did like that one better for certain uses, but as far as LSC and the other HD lakes goes there isn't much difference. The random old maps that were not HD were quite different, and it is hit ormiss which chip is better. The nav platinum or whatever they call it for the north is probably your best choice left.
Last July, Lakemaster was bought by Johnson Outdoors, which also owns Humminbird. 'Nuff said? [smilie=biggrin.gif]

From: http://www.lakemap.com/lakemasterdigita ... ecard.aspx
On July 11, 2011, LakeMaster Lake Maps was acquired by Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics, Inc., a manufacturer of Humminbird products and other marine electronics. As a result of this acquisition, LakeMaster Lake Maps will no longer offer digital chart products or support for any Lowrance® or Garmin® GPS products. LakeMaster branded products, compatible with Lowrance and Garmin, sold by retail or wholesale outlets, must be supported by the compatible GPS manufacturer.
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Yeah, that Navionics hotmaps premium Michigan chip is what I was looking at. Kinda sucks it is U.S. side only though. Jeff, does the regional chip have U.S. and Canadian side for LSC? I assume it does......
Rick

jawtag

Post by jawtag » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:29 pm

Yes, I have the regional navionics chip and it gave me the all of LSC
A fish in the sewer is better than none in the pool, or something, I think -Duke

esoxfly

Post by esoxfly » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:52 am

ricky sox wrangler wrote: Jeff, does the regional chip have U.S. and Canadian side for LSC? I assume it does......
Yes it does, and then some. It's a great chip.

Cyberlunge
Site Admin

Post by Cyberlunge » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:39 am

I have the navionics regional for my elite 5 and I love it! It has Canadian Coastal as one of the options so it covers North and South I went with the regional for the extra 30 bucks or so as I occasionally venture to Wisconsin and will soon add Minnesota to the list.
If I wasn't born to fish then why am I here?