PowerDrive 80LB Minnkota trolling motor

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

edalz

PowerDrive 80LB Minnkota trolling motor

Post by edalz » Thu May 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi guys,

I recently got an Ipilot on my boat and have a used Minnkota 80lb Power Drive trolling motor with Copilot on it. I bought it from another guy (used) and have no idea what it is worth. I would appreciate any feedback on what you think I might be able to sell it for and it is in fair condition.

Thanks
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu May 10, 2012 2:26 pm

Would need to know more to give a reasonable answer. What version PD 1 or 2? Does it have autopilot? Does it have universal sonar? Does it have the pedal and the copilot?
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Mike Stinson

Post by Mike Stinson » Thu May 10, 2012 7:11 pm

I will give you what you paid for it, and throw in free beers when we meet for the pickup.

edalz

Post by edalz » Thu May 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Will Schultz wrote:Would need to know more to give a reasonable answer. What version PD 1 or 2? Does it have autopilot? Does it have universal sonar? Does it have the pedal and the copilot?
PD2, no autopilot, no univ sonar, pedal works, copilot remote works.

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Thu May 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Mike, you may have to fight Will for it. Unless he had since upgraded from his ''manual turn'' motor down in Indiana. Lol

mskyprey

Post by mskyprey » Thu May 10, 2012 10:35 pm

Jim tenHaaf wrote:Mike, you may have to fight Will for it. Unless he had since upgraded from his ''manual turn'' motor down in Indiana. Lol
Been there, done that with you in the boat Jim!

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu May 10, 2012 11:06 pm

Ed - $200-300 depending on how fast you want to move it.
Jim tenHaaf wrote:Mike, you may have to fight Will for it. Unless he had since upgraded from his ''manual turn'' motor down in Indiana. Lol
Merely a flesh wound... just another pedal. I think that's eight now.

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Fri May 11, 2012 7:37 am

I just bought a new 70lb v2 w/o universal sonar or auto pilot for 650 so that price is awesome!!! On a side note, with the power drives you have to give up the foot control in order to put on the I-pilot, is it worth it?
MuskyDan

edalz

Post by edalz » Fri May 11, 2012 9:40 am

MuskyDan wrote:I just bought a new 70lb v2 w/o universal sonar or auto pilot for 650 so that price is awesome!!! On a side note, with the power drives you have to give up the foot control in order to put on the I-pilot, is it worth it?
I only used it once and I love it. Everything works as advertised and I have yet to use the foot control as the remote works great. I have a lot to learn on it and the manual is a little overwhelming.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri May 11, 2012 11:33 am

MuskyDan wrote:I just bought a new 70lb v2 w/o universal sonar or auto pilot for 650 so that price is awesome!!! On a side note, with the power drives you have to give up the foot control in order to put on the I-pilot, is it worth it?
Not sure how I would do it... I kinda need two hands to cast retrieve. It probably depends on how/what you fish. I don't like the motor to be on constantly and prefer to drive the boat instead of the boat driving me. I can see instances where the iPilot would be good for other species but I wouldn't use it muskie fishing. Maybe it's just the "old school" in me that learned how to properly run a boat with a cable steer.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Fri May 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Will, are you getting to be a old fart?? :roll:

MuskyDan

Post by MuskyDan » Sat May 12, 2012 12:12 am

Will Schultz wrote:
Not sure how I would do it... I kinda need two hands to cast retrieve. It probably depends on how/what you fish. I don't like the motor to be on constantly and prefer to drive the boat instead of the boat driving me. I can see instances where the iPilot would be good for other species but I wouldn't use it muskie fishing. Maybe it's just the "old school" in me that learned how to properly run a boat with a cable steer.
I had one cable driven motor and it drove me nuts! It wasn't that I couldn't control the boat as much as it was standing off balance trying to run the motor and fish at the same time while dealing with a small boat in big winds!!!
MuskyDan

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Sat May 12, 2012 12:26 pm

I learned on a MotorGuide cable steer, and I loved it! Yeah, now my right thigh is twice as big as my left from standing on 1 leg for so many years, but I liked how fast you could turn it. Plus, you never have issues of foot pedals going bad. Mine was a 1993, and I sold it a year ago, after getting a MinnKota with more thrust. My next one will be back to the MotorGuide Cable though, as long as I can get one with 80+ lbs.

mskyprey

Post by mskyprey » Sat May 12, 2012 8:58 pm

In a word, yes.

I pilot gives you anchor. Gives you gps course replay/storage retrieve-record a track on a troll and come back hit it with the electric. and all the compass functions of copilot. No foot pedal to kick around in the boat. Downside is the tan line if you use the neck strap. The tactile feel of the buttons helps for night time ops as well.

detroithardcore

Post by detroithardcore » Sat May 12, 2012 11:27 pm

I love my 101 Maxxum and the responsiveness of turning quickly but it's a pain in the ass in heavy winds or in really fast current on LSC. I can see the IPilot being great to spot-lock once a fish is hooked, landed etc in the heavy current. Or to fish without having to touch the pedal or motor after saving a path. To keep you within 5 feet regardless of wind and current seems awesome! Most days doing a drift/or going up current is easy with my motor but on those really windy days/or heavy current I cant take my foot off of pedal. I'd love the IPilot for this application. Going up current, is also a pain... If I have to leave the bow, change baits or anything in the boat the motor will swing one way or another quickly. Drives me nuts! Spinning the boat back quickly.

I'm in the decision making process now of selling my 101 Maxxum for a 101 Terrova. Decisions, decisions.. Plus another $1800 expense. I've gotten very comfortable running the boat in these brutal conditions but I sure would sometimes just love to worry about fishing rather than constantly keeping my foot on pedal.
Scott