Shimano Calcutta Question

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

MattG_braith

Shimano Calcutta Question

Post by MattG_braith » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:04 am

I am replacing the handle on my Calcutta 400 with a power handle. I have lost the rivet that pins the piece that keeps the locking nut from coming loose on the reel handle. Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement for this rivet or where I can find the Shimano part number to order another one? I cant find much info at all on this online. I would prefer to buy a matching piece as opposed to buying a random screw that fits the slot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Matt

Moski

Post by Moski » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:32 am

vano397

Post by vano397 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:59 am

I have sent my reels to sportsman's repair shop, who advertises a bit in some of the magazines. http://www.sportsmansrepair.com/
I saw someone mention them here before, and they seem to have done a great job. Anyhow, they only deal with musky stuff, and can get any part known to man. Giving him a call might not be a bad idea. I have also gotten stuff from mikes, however after a year and a half waiting for a seal for a shimano stradic, I finally called to get a refund... good resource but not great correspondence...
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:38 am

vano397 wrote: I have also gotten stuff from mikes, however after a year and a half waiting for a seal for a shimano stradic, I finally called to get a refund... good resource but not great correspondence...
I ordered a replacement "clicker assembly" for one of my Garcias from Mikes last year. After a couple weeks I still hadn't heard anything from them, and my order still said "processing" but my credit card had been charged. I tried contacting them but never heard back, about a week later still nothing has happened so I tried to contact a second time, but still no repsonse. Finally almost a month after I placed the order I still had heard nothing back, and my order status still said "processing". I sent them another kind of nasty message saying cancel my order immediately, and to refund my money. I still never got a response but they did refund my money so I just went and ordered it from Abu Garcia theselves. Recieved the part 3 days later.

I know this doesn't help your situation out at all, but if possible, I would avoid Mikes. I know I'm never dealing with them again.
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

vano397

Post by vano397 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:33 am

like i said the good thing about mikes is that they have every schematic known to man... the bad thing is, if they don't have the part its forever and a day till you get one. But for finding the part number its easy... then its finding someone that will send it to you without fixing the reel themselves.
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

MattG_braith

Post by MattG_braith » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks alot for the sites and advice. Go figure the Shimano part number I was looking for was shimano part number 1...BNT0001. Thanks again for the help.
Matt

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Shimano will ship it to you for free. DO NOT BUY FROM MIKES REEL REPAIR

p.s. I just got this same part shipped, go figure.
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...

MattG_braith

Post by MattG_braith » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:02 am

Chris Musselman wrote:Shimano will ship it to you for free. DO NOT BUY FROM MIKES REEL REPAIR

p.s. I just got this same part shipped, go figure.
Yeah went to buy this stuff from Mikes Reel Repair and shipping was way over priced and they could only guarentee shipping within 6 weeks.

Chris, how do you order parts like this straight from Shimano? I cant find anywhere on their website. Can you do it online?
Matt

MattG_braith

Post by MattG_braith » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:09 am

Nevermind Chris, Chuck from The Sportsman Repair Shop from JP's post got back with me this morning and has the parts I need in stock and will ship them to me today for real cheap too. Thanks for the help from all of you.
Matt

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:29 am

In the future just call Shimano customer service and request to make a parts order. If they're cheap parts they'll usually give them to you for free.
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...

edalz

Post by edalz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:58 pm

I have had alot of luck with these guys and they have some nice handles for sale and Calcutta upgrades:

http://www.davesreelservice.com/pages/m ... hermen.php
"I wish ignorance was painful".

edalz

Post by edalz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:26 pm

I just read your post over again and check Dave's Reel service regarding the power handles they sell and note that they router part of the handle so that the power handle will set flush. I tried to use a power handle that I got off of ebay and I could only get a few threads on the nut. I sent the handle to Dave's and they recessed the handle for me for $10. I would recommend buying some extra screws and I use a breakable loctite to hold the screw in.
"I wish ignorance was painful".