Early season rod/reel?

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Esoxonthefly

Early season rod/reel?

Post by Esoxonthefly » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:16 am

What rod/reel combos are you using to throw the smaller baits during the early season? I've heard bass type tackle works but just any "bass" rod/reel?
"I once heard of a guy that caught a 70" muskie weighing 80 lbs...."

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:35 am

My favorite rod for small baits is an old St. Croix blank that I had tied up. It's a Magnum Bass flipping stick 8 foot long. It is rated at 2.5 ounce lures. The reel is an old Phluger Trion low profile spooled with 40 pound Power Pro. The leaders are 45 pound 7 strand by Mason. With this rig I throw 205 cranes, Kitty Claws, little bagley shads, Mepps muskie killers and other small buck tails and 1 ounce spinner baits. I have been fishing this rig for 7 years. Mike
""WILL FISH FOR FOOD""

http://www.fishall-lures.com

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:17 pm

If you're talking Indiana pre-spawn and some of the small baits associated with that fishing (not saying only small baits work) then a flippin stick or a swim bait rod for bass fishing is perfect for the 1/2 to 1.5 oz baits. Okuma makes some sweet big bait rods that are perfect for small baits the GS-C-7111H is a 7'11" rod that rated for 1-6oz lures and they also have a GS-C-7111MH rated for 3/4-3oz. Either of these rods paired with a 250 size reel like the Okuma Akena and 60lb line will cover any of the smallish baits in the spring.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

vano397

Post by vano397 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:53 pm

I have a 9' 3/4-4 oz rod that I throw all my smaller stuff with, Its an american tackle viper blank, made by lamiglas. If I were a fly I guy I'd call it a sweetheart for sure. I put a Curado 300 EJ on it last season and love it even more, but I can use if for pretty much anything, and even took it on the river with some rapala MR 11's this fall and slammed some kings :mrgreen: they didn't know what hit em after all the other guys and their spinning tackle!
“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him all good things-trout as well as eternal salvation-come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy.”

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Mine is simple. It's the first rod/reel combo I purchased for Muskie fishing. Abu 6600 and 7 1/2 ft. Pete Maina rod. Simple and cheap.
Rick