cincinnati to michigan

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

imalt

cincinnati to michigan

Post by imalt » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:40 am

I was planning a trip with my one man pontoon to michigan in late june for musky. Wanted to hit a few different lakes. I was thinking of one day getting a guide for st clair since that is too big of a lake for the pontoon. I was wanting to know if anyone had any recomendations on lakes that might be better than others. Was trying not to go to the upper peninsula but will if it is a better idea. Just trying to make the most of my trip. Thanks ahead for any info.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:51 am

You have a couple options for inland lakes without going to the UP. You could fish the SW part of the state and fish a number of smaller lakes in that area. You could also fish the east central part of the state and have access to a number of small to medium size lakes. I would guess travel time is similar for you to either area.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

imalt

Post by imalt » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:19 pm

my plan was to fish one day with a guide at st clair. One day at least at thornapple and then venture other places. It doesn't really seem as we can go wrong no matter where we go.

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:55 pm

No, there are a good array of lakes around. Just depends on how far you are willing to go and what kind of fishing you want to do. Numbers, or size. I would pick 1 side of the state and stick around there. The only "dead zone" of water is really central MI. You have lakes that are just north of Grand Rapids and Lansing. Then, nothing for a few hours until you hit the Traverse City area. If you stay on the East side of the state, you've got the Tittawabasee, Sanford, Secord, Wixom, Hudson, etc. If you go to the west side, you'll have Austin, Campau, Murray, Long, etc. If you pick a spot in either Grand Rapids, or say, Flint or Saginaw, you could have over a 1/2 dozen lakes all within 1-1.5 hrs of driving.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:35 pm

As far as a guide on LSC Will Schultz & Chad Sandy will put you on fish. Like Jim said when you come into MI. you have Diane & Hudson. A hour to a hour and a half north is Ovid. Hudson & Ovid have campgrounds and are no wake. Your only 1&1/2hrs from Thorn, Austin Murray and a bunch more. I guess it depends how much time you have.

imalt

Post by imalt » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:46 pm

All we are goign to do is musky fish. I will more than likely try to stay with no wake . It will be a little nicer with the one man pontoon. Of course maybe michigan guys are a little nicer than bucknuts and dont come within 10 ft of you at full speed. I can't wait to get up there and try my luck though.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Steve S wrote:As far as a guide on LSC Will Schultz & Chad Sandy will put you on fish. Like Jim said when you come into MI. you have Diane & Hudson. A hour to a hour and a half north is Ovid. Hudson & Ovid have campgrounds and are no wake. Your only 1&1/2hrs from Thorn, Austin Murray and a bunch more. I guess it depends how much time you have.
Not Will Schultz, he doesn't guide on St Clair.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:07 pm

Will, sorry about LSC. He'd be worth going guiding on Thorn. I fish Hudson alot and can help you with that, nobody likes Hudson except me. :roll:

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:11 pm

Steve S wrote:Will, sorry about LSC. He'd be worth going guiding on Thorn. I fish Hudson alot and can help you with that, nobody likes Hudson except me. :roll:
Steve, I love Hudson for a month! Then after that there is this other lake that's a wee bit closer...........
Rick

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Steve S wrote:Will, sorry about LSC. He'd be worth going guiding on Thorn. I fish Hudson alot and can help you with that, nobody likes Hudson except me. :roll:
Aw, I like Hudson.... It's just that I can get skunked at lakes that are nearer to me than that.

Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

muskaholic

Post by muskaholic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:33 pm

I dont think it realy matters where your at. there are D.Bags everywhere!!! If you want to fish thorn, campau or murray let me know... I just need an excuse to go fishing. just realize that most lakes on the west side of the state are all sports lakes and dont give a crap about fishers, plan on fishing early and late especialy on weekends.
always practice C.P.R.

imalt

Post by imalt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:15 am

Thanks for all the input guys. When I get a plan together I will post it and see what you guys think. I plan on fishing during the week to cut out on the weekend crowd. I have been know to chuck musky baits at boaters that I feel are to close. Usually you throw some 6/0 hooks by their head they get the idea

Ranger

Post by Ranger » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:02 am

As long as yer coming north you should consider finding somebody serious to take you out on LSC. Best bet by far for big fish. But not in yer boat, too risky in that or any big water.

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Spencer Berman will be the only legal casting guide on LSC the beginning of this year. He fills up pretty quick, so I would get a hold of him soon. FYI - if you were to search around, you would find other casting guided, but like I said, Spencer is the only LEGAL one that I know of. He WILL put you on fish. You wont be disappointed.

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Jim tenHaaf wrote:Spencer Berman will be the only legal casting guide on LSC the beginning of this year. He fills up pretty quick, so I would get a hold of him soon. FYI - if you were to search around, you would find other casting guided, but like I said, Spencer is the only LEGAL one that I know of. He WILL put you on fish. You wont be disappointed.
What about Chad? Is he hangin' it up?
Rick