cincinnati to michigan

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

jasonvkop

Post by jasonvkop » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:18 pm

ricky sox wrangler wrote:
Jim tenHaaf wrote:Spencer Berman will be the only legal casting guide on LSC the beginning of this year. He fills up pretty quick, so I would get a hold of him soon. FYI - if you were to search around, you would find other casting guided, but like I said, Spencer is the only LEGAL one that I know of. He WILL put you on fish. You wont be disappointed.
What about Chad? Is he hangin' it up?
For this year at least
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:51 am

The word on the street is he will probably be starting to guide around Oct of this year.

Chasin50

Post by Chasin50 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:03 pm

Chad sold his boat and his 2012 Ranger 621 won't be available until late in the season.

I would recommend Spencer as well.

esoxfly

Post by esoxfly » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:53 am

Twice in one thread guys are talking about themselves in the third person.

Jeff thinks that's funny. :mrgreen:

All joking aside, I might just suggest you consider picking a body of water and stick with it. You can miss a bite really easily by "ya shoulda been here yesterday" when you were on another lake, or if you get to a lake and nail a bite, it's never wise to leave fish to find fish. I'd rather have multiple shots at one lake than singular shots at several lakes.

If you're just wanting to see new water and you're wanting to road trip, then hit as many lakes as you can. But if you're wanting to put together a plan and fish efficiently, I'd pick a lake and hit it, especially since you're limited to a pontoon boat; you're not going to be able to cover alot of water, scout the lake and all that stuff that would take you a morning in a powered boat, it'll take you all day or more in a pontoon. Sure if you get here and that lake is trashed or temps are too high or it's just not happening you can adjust your schedule but to hop from lake to lake just puts you at sqare 1 each day and doesn't allow you to build on the previous day's work and patterns. Heck, it may take you all morning just to paddle (or kick, I kick) around and get out of muddy water. You just wasted half that day on that lake and you're already moving onto the next lake the next day. That's not efficient.

Now if you want to hit LSC for a day with a guide, sure. The guide will have all that work done for you and you can start at square 1 and just enjoy your fishing as it's the guide's job. But for me, I'd want to hit a lake and learn it and fish it well. Get back on here a week or two before you come and get an idea on temps, water levels, trends, etc and make your decision then. Heck, you might even get someone to offer to take you out in their boat for a morning and give you a quick lay of the land and then you can hit it in your pontoon boat after you've seen the whole lake and can eliminate some spots.

But yeah, get with Spencer if you're doing LSC. He's still got some summer dates open and he's not doing MN this year so that'll help with availability. If he's not available, there's a couple of us here on LSC. If I don't transfer this year, I'll still be here and I could probably give you a heads up on what's happening on the lake. And believe it or not, guys fish this lake in kayaks and there are productive muskie waters on LSC that you can do in a pontoon. So worse come to worse, you could still do LSC is Spencer isn't available.

Just a suggestion.

detroithardcore

Post by detroithardcore » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:41 am

Go with Jon Bondy if your looking for a LSC/Detroit River guide. The guy has fished this system for 30 years and guided for 18 years. He doesnt just jig and will cast as well. Spencer would be another option but I would want a guy who has put some serious time on this system. Jon and several other guides have helped guys like Spencer understand how to fish this massive body of water. Nobody's more dialed day to day than Bondy.

Or as Jef mentioned if you enjoy learning a system on your own then give it a shot. There's fish everywhere and it's a fun body of water to fish.
Scott