Question on boat

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

biiigfish32

Question on boat

Post by biiigfish32 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:54 pm

I live in the Soo, im looking to get a new boat to fish up here but im not sure what to get. I cant aford much, something under $3000 we be about the best I could do. I know it gets pretty chopy but im wondering if I would be fine with a 14' deep-v, for fishing the taq, munuscung, and all the other areas up here. The problem with getting a bigger boat is that I also fish the Grand River in the summer and its pretty shallow. Any tips would be great

Corey
Corey P (biiigfish32)

Scott Williams

Post by Scott Williams » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:19 pm

You would be fine in a lot of the water. But the St. Mary's can be tough in some weather as it is BIG water as you know. Just be smart and respect the water and you should be fine.

ricky sox wrangler

Post by ricky sox wrangler » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:10 pm

For $2000, I found a 16ft. Lund SSV with trailer and 25hp merc. It came with the ugliest home made camo paint job I've ever seen. The floor ( which the original owner put in, doesn't come with one) was rotted out along with the front deck (which the original owner also put in). I put in a new floor, front and rear deck, carpet and threw some gray primer on it for less than $200. Later, I added a powerdrive trolling motor. Next, I'm adding better electronics. It's not as big as most other 16ft'ers, but it gets the job done. I know my limits with it. It is also shallow enough that I could take it on the Grand river if I wanted to.

There are definately deals out there if you are willing to be patient. I had to, that's all I could afford. Otherwise, I'd be pimpin' with a Ranger!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
Rick

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:25 am

look on muskiefirst.. There are plenty of really nice older tuffy's that you could get for under or around 2000. Most guys are in Wisc though, but not that far of a trip for you to pick it up