musky hunter picture..I cant believe they printed it!!

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

muskaholic

musky hunter picture..I cant believe they printed it!!

Post by muskaholic » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:56 pm

the latest issue of musky hunter mags trophy tails section has a kid holding a musky vertical with chanell locks by the lower jaw. I cant believe they would print something like that. They say they promote healthy catch and release, Im glad muskies inc has higher standards than that mag.Maybe its just me that was offended by that picture but I found it very unprofessinal by them and doesnt help our cause at all.I think we should all send steve heiting a email to let them know they should raise the bar of what they print... steveheiting@muskyhunter.com
always practice C.P.R.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:01 pm

that isn't the first pic they have printed pics like that.. ive noticed several over the years unfortunately..

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:10 am

Done

muskaholic

Post by muskaholic » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi Arus:

Thank you for your e-mail. I'll try to explain the consideration that went into printing this photo.

We receive LOTS of pictures of muskies being held vertically. In spite of Muskies Inc.'s policy and our extremely-limited use of photos of this nature, the general public still takes these photos and sees nothing wrong with them. Certainly, education that a horizontal hold is best for the fish is still necessary.

In this case, it's a kid's first musky. He's obviously proud of it and it was a big day in his life. Maybe he has joined or will join Muskies, Inc. Maybe his picture in a magazine will help further his interest in musky fishing. All outdoor sports need more kids coming in.

Would this photo have been better if he were holding the fish in a bear hug, thus removing its mucous coating? That's debatable. Remember, it's a kid with a first musky, so holding the fish somehow is a priority.

Whether the fish is being held with a ChannelLock pliers or Boga Grip, it's the same thing. It helped the kid hold the fish for the photo without being injured by the fish. I also doubt the ChannelLocks injured the fish's jaw. Those of us in the Midwest are big on using nets and don't like Boga Grips, but anglers in the East really like the Boga Grip and disdain nets. Who's right? Neither, because catch and release is working in both locales ... apparently nets and Boga Grips are both okay.

Maybe you don't agree with the points I've made, but all of this was considered. Thank you for your input, and good luck on the water.

Regards,

Steve Heiting
Musky Hunter Magazine
PO Box 340
7978 Hwy. 70 East
St. Germain, WI 54558
1-800-236-8759
www.muskyhunter.com
<steveheiting>
always practice C.P.R.

muskaholic

Post by muskaholic » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:21 pm