Suckers

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Deadduck1

Suckers

Post by Deadduck1 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:27 am

Hey everyone, I have an update from Black Dog in Rockford. They can get BIG suckers in every two weeks, starting in two weeks. They will run $4.50 a piece, and will be 12 in to 20 in in length. Not a bad deal if you ask me! What they are looking for is a number of how many they should have on hand ie order every two weeks. Please respond to this message so we can get these guys a count. These folks are trying real hard to make this work for us, and it beats driving to IN.
Would the child you once were, Be proud of the man you are today?

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:49 am

Two weeks from now might be tough to keep them alive for long when fishing. If I was them I would aim low to start, maybe 12. As the water cools and a tethered sucker isn't being boiled in 75 degree water then they'll want to start getting more.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:51 am

I agree with Will, where is this place at?

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:54 am

Steve S wrote:I agree with Will, where is this place at?
Deadduck1 wrote:Black Dog in Rockford.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:10 am

I think maybe tell them to hold off till the beginning of september and then maybe 20 or more every 2 weeks for sept-oct. They should have no trouble selling those even if we're the only ones buying them. The idea of just anybody in rockford being able to buy suckers and go fish them in 75-80+ degree water scares me from a muskie mortality standpoint too.

Deadduck1

Post by Deadduck1 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:10 am

Will, I meant to say they get new orders in every two weeks. They are just looking for how many to bring in with every order. I have seen lots of folks that have been looking for these things, and was just trying to do a little leg work for the club. I just do not want to sour the guys at Black Dog. Maybe we should just hold off until fall???

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:25 am

Deadduck1 wrote:Will, I meant to say they get new orders in every two weeks. They are just looking for how many to bring in with every order. I have seen lots of folks that have been looking for these things, and was just trying to do a little leg work for the club. I just do not want to sour the guys at Black Dog. Maybe we should just hold off until fall???
I would tell them to hold off until September. Personally, in the fall I would buy 24 every two weeks if not more. If they're going to stock them they would be advised to have them for May then again from late-September to December. People aren't going to understand what it takes to keep a sucker alive this time of year and I would hate for them to get complaints that their bait being poor quality.

I'm also hoping they'll be responsible with them and sell/encourage the use of correct rigs and not to let fish swallow. The easier suckers are to get, the more we'll see them misused on the water.

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:40 pm

Like most everyone else I have no use until sept. or later also. My buddies and I have a hell of a time trying to keep any minnows alive during the summer. We have a 120 gallon horse trough with more than enough aerators but once it gets hot just about anything we put in there dies quickly after. They have been trying to keep some live shiners for catfish bait but they all seem to die within a few days. I will take at least 15-20 suckers up front once he starts carrying them, then probably more depending on how fast I can use them up.
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:48 pm

One more thing... I should probably stop up there and talk with them sometime but hopefully we can get them to post the VHS rules. I don't think the average angler understands that once that $5 sucker goes in the water it can't be used in another body of water. It's not as simple as filling your livewell with suckers and going to the lake. If you pump in water or put a sucker in the water then back in the livewell you just exposed all of your suckers to that water and all must be disposed of after fishing.

Deadduck1

Post by Deadduck1 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:46 pm

Will, you should probably stop up there and talk with them sometime.
They are doing this for our Club. They were not looking to stock XL sukers until I brought it up (based on the posts on our web site from members who were looking for a place around GR to stock large suckers)& talked to them about the MMA. As I said in a different post, they would also like to stock the shelf's with all of our needs. You would be the best person to talk about what they should stock ie sucker rigs ect ect. If you would like you can take over the project, and I thank your time on it.

chris

Post by chris » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:19 pm

how far is Rockford from harrison

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:37 pm

a long way, try google maps probably 2.5 hours at the minimum