duck lure

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

ccmovi8

duck lure

Post by ccmovi8 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:50 pm

has anybody had any luck with a duck lure at all while trying to fish for Pike or Muskie ever. I was looking into getting one and wanted to know if I should just save my money.

Ranger

Post by Ranger » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:21 am

Never used one. But I do indeed target families of geese when the little ones are little. I figure a muskie or two is always stalking in shallow near those baby geese. I throw a single-hook spinnerbait right onto shore in the middle of the family and bring it back fast thru the shallows. A topwater, like a Topraider, would be perfect, but you can't drag those off shore into the water and expect the bait to work right. See, my theory is that anything that hits the water in front of the geese is landing right on top of the hottest fish that are stalking the geese. So I gotta hit the shore, on land, and bring it out from there.

I live on a lake with no muskies and the geese families swim out up to 100 feet (or lots more) from shore, mostly to get past piers. I fish a local muskie lake and the geese famlies there rarely get further than 10 or 20 feet from shore, no matter what. On the local muskie lake the geese families usually walk on land to get around a pier; the parents don't take the little ones away from shore if possible.

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:54 am

I see geese with small goslings going wherever they want on Ovid. I haven't noticed any fear on the part of the geese to be out far from shore with their little ones.
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:19 am

I see geese with small goslings going wherever they want on Ovid. I haven't noticed any fear on the part of the geese to be out far from shore with their little ones.
That's because they don't have access to the stocking reports for the last couple years.
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:49 am

Chris Musselman wrote:
That's because they don't have access to the stocking reports for the last couple years.
Hah! Maybe. Or maybe the muskies don't like having to get goose down out from between their teeth. Or maybe the muskies haven't discovered how tasty they are, yet... Or maybe they're just stupid geese!
Don't drink and derive.

Bomba

Post by Bomba » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:54 am

hemichemi wrote:
Chris Musselman wrote:
Hah! Maybe. Or maybe the muskies don't like having to get goose down out from between their teeth. Or maybe the muskies haven't discovered how tasty they are, yet... Or maybe they're just stupid geese!
Or................... There are no muskies in Ovid [smilie=bangtard.gif]
Don Bomba

"PASS IT ON"

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:58 am

Bomba wrote:
hemichemi wrote:
Chris Musselman wrote: That's because they don't have access to the stocking reports for the last couple years.
Or................... There are no muskies in Ovid [smilie=bangtard.gif]
Don't drink and derive.

Ranger

Post by Ranger » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:18 pm

I've learned from what I see all the time and I'll stick by my opinion.

ccmovi8

Post by ccmovi8 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:56 pm

Ranger wrote:I've learned from what I see all the time and I'll stick by my opinion.
thank you Ranger, i want actual advice here not jokes. (even as funny as they are at times lol) but seriousely anybody have luck with one ever?

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:06 am

I don't think many people have gone in for the duck lure... My guess is any surface lure would be just as effective as the true match-the-hatch variety though. Actually, when ducklings are spooked and scooting for cover- merganser and goldeneye ducklings do this especially- they look & sound remarkably like little TopRaiders. Fishing with the duck lure might be fun, I don't know? But my gut says you could spend less and have a better made lure that is at least as effective

Chris Musselman

Post by Chris Musselman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:04 am

Also for what its worth I stayed at a lodge in Canada and there where multiple pictures on the wall of muskies caught with duck feathers still hanging out of their mouths.
If I'm not going to catch fish. I might as well not be catching Muskies...

Ranger

Post by Ranger » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:51 pm

Ok, here's something more solid, I hope.....

Whatever you use you want it to "squeek" as you retrieve it to the boat.

For example, my very best TopRaider does a high-pitched "erk erk erk" with every turn of the tail. The shaft is kinda pocked and coroded. I was told by a couple of folks with whom I've fished and who know lots more than I that the squeek is not just desirable extra sensory attraction, but is in fact similar to the sound baby ducks use when they are scared and swimming fast toward safety. None of my other TopRaiders make that sound, BTW.

And, new to me, yesterday I watched an episode of North American Fishermen where Kevin Van Dam showed how he always tunes all of his buzz baits so they make an audible squeek all the way back to the boat. To do this he crimped the sleeve below the blade to the shaft, then he flattened and "roughed up" the mushroom-shaped "top" of the shaft. The goal was to create a sqeeking sound as the blade spun and he doesn't throw buzz baits that don't squeek.

I know I joke around too much and that much of my spouted-off humor isn't very funny. I appreciate folks' pantience with me in that area.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:38 am

Never used one and seen them in the catalogs, they are not cheap!! I agree with Duke. When ducks & geese scurry across the water you can do this with topwater baits, a fast hard pull. But I've got to ask have you thought about a AFLAC one!! :oops:

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:31 am

Here you go, the Coot. This has a proven track record for big fish in MN.

Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

finlander

duckling lure

Post by finlander » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:36 pm

I have made a couple out of those rubber kids bathtub toys. Filled it with expanding foam. Ran a tube thru it left to right, thru that a s.s wire I attached some feet to, to make noise as I pulled it back. No feathers though. Did put a huge treble on da butt with a shrink tube to hold it up out of the water. Heavy standed wire from tie to treble. Funny to look at. Gave one to a guide in Ontario 6 years ago. Never heard how he did with it. Mine is still in the basement....