Winyah

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

detroithardcore

Winyah

Post by detroithardcore » Sun May 29, 2011 5:44 pm

Not looking for fish advice, looking for advice if I can fit my 620 in at the launch? I've never been there and up north near Alpe Na. What hazardS do I need to look out for since ice heard it's very stumpy and lots of stakes. It looks like shallow lake and lots of little islands. Any tips or advice on launch and hazards would be great!
Scott

john c

Post by john c » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:46 pm

I wish I could help, but I've never been.

Lucky Dog

Post by Lucky Dog » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:54 pm

I've never fished it either, but the Thunder Bay Walleye club had a club tournament there last year and they launched some 20' walleye boats. So I'd guess yes, you can launch your 620 there.
Dennis Gulau

Ranger

Post by Ranger » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:09 am

If you think yer heading into timber, timber that includes deadheads just below the surface, travel with yer electric motor. If you must use your gas motor, trim it way up and go very slow. If you roll up onto a deadhead (you'll know it when it happens, and it happens all the time on many waters) hit neutral and if there's any wind just rock yer boat side to side until the wind blows you off. Don't use power if you can use the wind. If that doesn't work use the trolling motor to pull you off while you rock the boat. Don't go into reverse with the gas motor unless you totally have to because your prop might hit yet another unseen deadhead, and yer gas motor is not designed to hit obsticals in reverse.