Livebait rod

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Esoxonthefly

Livebait rod

Post by Esoxonthefly » Fri May 27, 2011 1:22 pm

I tried a search to see if this has been covered before and I couldn't find anything so here it goes. What rod works best for dragging sucker? Is a XXH rod too much? Is a glass cat rod not enough?
"I once heard of a guy that caught a 70" muskie weighing 80 lbs...."

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri May 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Seems like most guys I've seen use a fairly long but fairly heavy rod. Something in the 8 to 9 foot range. You need something stout for the extremely hard hooksets usually used with big suckers. I would worry about hook setting power with say a cat rod or a salmon downrigger rod.
Last edited by Mayhem on Fri May 27, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smada962

Post by Smada962 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:58 pm

This is a good question. I am new to live baiting for muskies myself and have been wondering the same thing so I'm curious to hear what the responses are.
Ryan Adams

Yeah well ya know, that's just like, your opinion man

edalz

Post by edalz » Fri May 27, 2011 3:23 pm

I use a XXXH 7'9" St Croix rod that is rated to 30 ounces and a 6'9" rod for suckers. I would think that you do not need a very expensive rod just a fairly stout rod. If you fish alone I would consider the rod length as landing a fish by yourself with a 8' or 9' rod would be a real challenge. Good luck and let me know where you can get suckers.
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri May 27, 2011 4:12 pm

I use old St Croix rods that are 8' MH. The action is comparable to an XH for some companies. There really isn't a need for a super stout rod since the rig should pull free easily you're really only moving hooks and some leader in their mouth. In all situations you'll be very close to the fish when you set the hook so again no need for something really stout. Bottom line is that I would rather have a rod that fights a fish well than a rod that is too stiff to fight a fish.

Ed - You have me confused on how a long rod makes it any more difficult to net a fish... please explain.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

edalz

Post by edalz » Fri May 27, 2011 5:07 pm

Will Schultz wrote:I use old St Croix rods that are 8' MH. The action is comparable to an XH for some companies. There really isn't a need for a super stout rod since the rig should pull free easily you're really only moving hooks and some leader in their mouth. In all situations you'll be very close to the fish when you set the hook so again no need for something really stout. Bottom line is that I would rather have a rod that fights a fish well than a rod that is too stiff to fight a fish.

Ed - You have me confused on how a long rod makes it any more difficult to net a fish... please explain.
I have a couple of 10' MI rods and I would never use them when I fish alone. The idea of trying to net a fish on a really long rod while holding the net in my other hand doesn't sound like fun. I know it can be done but it's not worth the extra hassle for me.
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Fri May 27, 2011 10:26 pm

My sucker rod is a St Croix 6'9" XXXH