Lakemaster or Navionics?

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Esoxonthefly

Lakemaster or Navionics?

Post by Esoxonthefly » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:23 pm

Since I finally got a GPS I am in need of a map chip but which one? I'm looking for anyone's opinions here.

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:07 pm

Depends on which of the big two you have:
Humminbird = Lakemaster
Lowrance = Navionics
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:41 am

I have an eagle which is basically Lowrance. Why does one chip work better with one brand and not the other?

Will Schultz

Post by Will Schultz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:46 am

The main thing really is the Humminbird capabilities with the Lakemaster. It allows the user to highlight depth ranges, set lake levels and other features. The lake level is a great feature (ex. St Clair is 18" low and you can adjust it so you don't think you have two feet of water to run over when you really have 6" - :shock: ).

The navionics is the same for both and more economical because when you buy navionics you get a larger area of maps vs. state specific. Is there anything preloaded mapping on your machine? It may be that you don't need to purchase anything.
Self interest is for the past, common interest is for the future.

edalz

Post by edalz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:04 pm

I use both Navionics and Lakemaster in my Humminbird and they both have strengths and weaknesses. All of what Will said as benefits are true and they are useful. I would try and look at the specific lakes that you fish and see which chip gives the better details that you are looking for and work from there.
"I wish ignorance was painful".

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:47 pm

I'm still working on getting the unit hooked up in the boat so I actually haven't seen it on yet. I don't think it has a pre loaded contour map, just a base map that shows where you are in relation to the lake. My GPS isn't color so I guess the detail in Lakemaster really wouldn't be used to its full capacity.

Burglar34

Post by Burglar34 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:09 pm

Last year I was in the same situation and Cabelas recommended the Lake Master chip. After getting my hummingbird installed I couldn't get the lake master chip to work and contacted Lake Master. Apparently Lake Master only worked with color versions of hummingbird so double check what works. Also I like my navtronics but my next upgrade will be to a color monitor and lake master for the extra features.