just came down with muskie fever!!

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

jawtag

just came down with muskie fever!!

Post by jawtag » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm just getting into muskie fishing and plan on casting my arm off this season! I don't have a lot of lures and don't want to waist what money my wife will let me spend on something I don't need or the wrong colors. I will be casting mostly and fishing Ovid (I live 10 min away) but will fish Thornapple, Murry and so on. so what are some of the basics that I need thanks -Adam

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:43 pm

Adam, you need to come to the banquet this Saturday, talk to a bunch of the guy's and get some good baits. Welcome to the sickness!! :shock:

Jim tenHaaf

Post by Jim tenHaaf » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:05 pm

Steve S wrote:Adam, you need to come to the banquet this Saturday, talk to a bunch of the guy's and get some good baits. Welcome to the sickness!! :shock:
I second what Steve said. You are just in time to meet almost everyone in the club, learn some things, and get a ton of great baits. Doesn't happen in one place too often!

LonLB

Post by LonLB » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:28 pm

Yep, may as well try and make it out...Don't be shy. I've never met anyone yet either. :oops:

jasonvkop

Re: just came down with muskie fever!!

Post by jasonvkop » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:34 am

jawtag wrote:so what are some of the basics that I need thanks -Adam
Do you have any lures right now or are you starting from scratch? Here are just a couple lures that will cover any lake. Browns and oranges are great colors on every body of water so you can't go wrong there.
- Mag SuperD/MagBulldawg
- 8" Jake
- Shumway Flasher
- Double Cowgirl (if you have the right equipment)
- 9" Suick
- Wabull
- Weagle (black)
- Pacemaker (black)
- Moski twitchbait/teardrop
- Triple D
The Musky Bandit strikes again!

Esoxonthefly

Post by Esoxonthefly » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:23 am

Jason has you headed in the right direction. You should definitely come to the banquet if you can, tons of guys from the club will to chat you up on stuff and good chances at walking away with some of those baits Jason mentioned. Welcome aboard!

hemichemi

Post by hemichemi » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:55 am

Welcome, Adam.

Please also take a look at our Info/Tips page for some other things you should have:

http://www.michiganmuskiealliance.org/tips.php

I live in Mason and fish Ovid all the time, and a friend of mine lives up near Ovid, too; I'm sure you'll see me out there.

Also, we will be having a Tournament at Lake Ovid on May 21. Come, if you can!
Alcohol and calculus don't mix —
Don't drink and derive.

swanezy
Site Admin

Post by swanezy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:30 am

The better question would be if he has the proper rod/reel's and line before he ever looks at the lures etc.

jawtag

Post by jawtag » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:33 pm

the banquet sound fun ill even bring a couple of people along with me. I do have a muskie rod and an abu 6600 c4 reel with power pro line. I have a few lures now a few buck tails, a couple of top-water, and some crank baits not much. Ill take a pic of what I have and bring it with me to the banquet thanks for the help.

Steve S

Post by Steve S » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:59 pm

Adam, you and your friends will enjoy this. Great speaker from the DNR on Great Lakes Muskies. Auction on trips, rods, baits, also a blind auction, raffle tickets for great prizes. And a big thing is everyone in the room has the same thing as you, Musky Fever!! :oops: