Low Profile Reels

General musky fishing discussions and questions.

Moderator: Cyberlunge

Esoxonthefly

Low Profile Reels

Post by Esoxonthefly » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:40 am

I was looking to get some opinions on low pro reels for all purpose use. It looks like the Abu Revo Toro and Shimano Curado are the only choices(as far as I've been able to find) so what are some pros and cons of both?

LonLB

Post by LonLB » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:46 am

I'll toss up a third option. Keep in mind that it is NOT readily available, but they can be found on ebay.

The only parts for them you would ever need are still available.
An Abu 523 XLT. Low profile, magnetic cast control, high capacity spool, pawl anti-reverse, bait clicker, and they are built like a tank.

Again I know it's old, but you can find them on E-bay, and get parts from Mikes Reel Repair.

detroithardcore

Post by detroithardcore » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:58 am

I love my Curado and Winch. Both low profile and awesome when you want to switch it up a bit. I use my Calcutta TE's, then switch to low profile like a curado and it's a good break in the hand. You don't get that "clinched" hand when switching it up. Plus, when working Jerkbaits I think the low profile like a curado feels lighter and better grip to palm it and work your magic. I love the low profile design and after awhile you'll find yourself gravitating towards using it more than a normal round reel. They feel just a strong and study as a normal round reel with half the size. I think you'll enjoy switching it up.
Scott

Adam Minnick

Post by Adam Minnick » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:50 pm

I believe there was a write up in the last musky hunter mag also....I think everyone wishes they would have been on em much sooner, if available then. I agree with D-town.
"The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." FigureL8T

MattG_braith

Post by MattG_braith » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:11 pm

I have a Curado 201B for sale if you are interested. Its a year and a half old and I only used it for a half a season so its just about brand new.

I liked the reel alot for throwing cranks and spinners but I used it more for bass and pike and not for muskie and I rarely use those types of baits for bass anyways. I prefer a spinning combo more for bass so I replaced it with a Calcutta 201 so I could throw heavier baits and use that rod more for a lighter muskie/pike rod.

Its a 201 so its lefty but let me know if youre interested. Was going to throw it up on ebay in a month or so.
Matt

Mus-ski-poor

Low profile reels

Post by Mus-ski-poor » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:23 pm

Ive been using Abu Garcia reels for years .Three years ago I got a REVO STX for pike fishing. Ive used it for small bucktails muskie fishing also.It has not failed me at all.Last year I got a REVO TORO 60 It holds all the line you would ever need and more. I like Sufix braid seems to work the best for my style of fishing. Great drag.smooth action.It is wide had to adjust to it. Gear Ratio of Mine 5.4:1 I see there is a 4.6:1 offered this year. I,m thinking of getting one 279.99 May be worth sleeping in the boat until my wife forgives me. :roll:

jasonvkop

Re: Low profile reels

Post by jasonvkop » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Mus-ski-poor wrote:I,m thinking of getting one 279.99 May be worth sleeping in the boat until my wife forgives me. :roll:
Look on ebay and you can get them for cheaper
The Musky Bandit strikes again!